break the box翻译:English 900 英语九百句

来源:百度文库 编辑:中财网 时间:2024/04/29 10:15:21


第一册

一、 Greetings 问候语
1. Hello! / Hi! 你好!
2. Good morning / afternoon / evening! 早晨(下午/晚上)好!
3. I'm Kathy King. 我是凯西·金。
4. Are you Peter Smith? 你是彼得·史密斯吗?
5. Yes, I am. / No, I'm not. 是,我是。/ 不,我不是。
6. How are you? 你好吗?
7. Fine, thanks. And you? 很好,谢谢,你呢?
8. I'm fine, too. 我也很好。
9. How is Amy / your wife / your husband? 爱米好吗?/你妻子好吗?/你丈夫好吗?
10. She is very well, thank you. 她很好,谢谢。
11. Good night, Jane. 晚安,简。
12. Good-bye, Mike. 再见,迈克。
13. See you tomorrow. 明天见。
14. See you later. 待会儿见。
15. I have to go now. 我必须走了。

二、Expression In Class 课堂用语
16. May I come in? 我能进来吗?
17. Come in, please. 请进。
18. Sit down, please. 请坐。
19. It's time for class. 上课时间到了。
20. Open your books and turn to page 20. 打开书,翻到第20页。
21. I'll call the roll before class. 课前我要点名。
22. Here! 到!
23. Has everybody got a sheet? 每个人都拿到材料了吗?
24. Any different opinion? 有不同意见吗?
25. Are you with me? 你们跟上我讲的了吗?
26. Have I made myself clear? 我讲明白了吗?
27. Could you say it again? 你能再说一遍吗?
28. Any questions? 有什么问题吗?
29. That's all for today. 今天就讲到这里。
30. Please turn in your paper before leaving. 请在离开前将论文交上。

三、Identifying Objects 辨别物品
31. What's this? 这是什么?
32. It's a pen. 是支笔。
33. Is this your handbag? 这是你的手提包吗?
34. No, it isn't. / Yes, it is. 不,它不是。/是的,它是。
35. Whose pen is this? 这是谁的笔?
36. It's Kate's. 是凯特的。
37. Is that a car? 那是一辆小汽车吗?
38. No, it isn't. It's a bus. 不,那是一辆公共汽车。
39. What do you call this in English? 这个用英语怎么说?
40. What is the color of your new book? 你的新书是什么颜色的?
41. How big is your house? 你的房子有多大?
42. How long is the street? 这条街有多长?
43. What's the name of the cat? 这猫叫什么名字?
44. Where's the company? 那个公司在哪儿?
45. Which is the right size? 哪个尺码是对的?

四、About Belongings 关于所有物
46. What's this? 这是什么?
47. It's an air-conditioner. 这是空调。
48. Is this yours? 这是你的吗?
49. Yes, it's mine. 是的,是我的。
50. Where are my glasses? 我的眼镜在哪儿?
51. Do you know where I've put my glasses? 你知道我把眼镜搁哪儿了吗?
52. Over there. 在那边。
53. On the desk. 在桌上。
54. Is this your pen? I found it under the desk. 这是你的笔吗?我在桌下捡的。
55. No. Mine is blue. 不是。我的是蓝的。
56. Which is your bag? 哪个是你的包?
57. The bigger one. 大些的那个。
58. The one on your right. 你右边的那个。
59. Are these books all yours? 这些书全是你的吗?
60. Some of them are mine. 一部分是我的。

五、Identifying People 辨别身份
61. Who are you? 你是谁?
62. I'm Jim. 我是吉姆。
63. Who is the guy over there? 那边那个人是谁?
64. He's Bob. 他是鲍勃。
65. Is that girl a student? 那个女孩是学生吗?
66. No, she isn't. 不,她不是。
67. What do you do? 你是做什么的?
68. I'm a farmer. 我是个农民。
69. What does he do? 他是干什么的?
70. He's a manager. 他是个经理。
71. She must be a model, isn't? 她一定是个模特,不是吗?
72. I really don't known. 我真不知道。
73. I have no idea about it. 我一点都不知道。
74. Can she be a driver? 她可能是个司机吗?
75. Yes, I think so. 是的,我认为是。

六、 About Introduction 关于介绍
76. What's your name? 你叫什么名字?
77. May I have your name? 能告诉我你的名字吗?
78. My name is Thomas. 我叫汤姆斯。
79. Just call me Tom. 就叫我汤姆吧。
80. What's your family name? 你姓什么?
81. My family name is Ayneswonth. 我姓安尼思华斯。
82. How do you spell it? 怎么拼?
83. Who is the lady in white? 穿白衣服的那位小姐是谁?
84. Could you introduce me to her? 你能把我介绍给她吗?
85. Rose, let me introduce my friend to you. 罗斯,让我介绍一下我的朋友。
86. This is Tom. He's my classmate. 这是汤姆。我的同学。
87. Nice to meet you. 很高兴认识你。
88. Nice to meet you, too. 认识你我也很高兴。
89. Let me introduce myself. 让我自我介绍一下。
90. How do you do? 你好!

七、Year, Month And Day 年、月、日
91. What day is it today? 今天星期几?
92. It's Monday today. 今天是星期一。
93. What's the date today? 今天是几号?
94. It's January the 15th, 1999. 今天是1999年1月15日。
95. What month is this? 现在是几月?
96. It's December. 现在是十二月。
97. What year is this? 今年是哪一年?
98. It's the year of 1999. 今年是1999年。
99. What will you do during this weekend? 这周末你干什么?
100. Does the shop open at 9 am on weekdays? 这家店平日是早上9点开门吗?
101. It opens at 8 am on weekdays, but at 9 at weekends.
平日上午8点开,但周末9点开。
102. What will you do the day after on next? 后天你干什么?
103. What did you do the week before last? 上上星期你干了什么?
104. I'll work for the next 5 days. 我要工作5天(从明天算起)
105. It's been 5 years since I last saw you. 我已5年没见你了。

八、Talking About Objects 谈论事物
106. Do you have a computer? 你有计算机吗?
107. Yes, I do. 是的,我有。
108. He has that book, doesn't he? 他有那本书,是吗?
109. No, he doesn't. 不,他没有。
110. Do you have any brothers or sisters? 你有兄弟或姐妹吗?
111. No, I'm a single son. 没有,我是独生子。
112. Does your computer have a modem? 你的电脑有调制解调器吗?
113. Do you have shampoo here? 这儿有香波卖吗?
114. What a beautiful garden you have! 你的花园真漂亮。
115. Any tickets left? 有剩票吗?
116. Do you have glue? I need some here. 你有胶水吗?我这里需要一点。
117. I have some left. 我剩下一些。
118. If you have more, please give me some. 如果你有多的,请给我。
119. Do you have my pencil? 你拿了我的铅笔吗?
120. Yes, I have your eraser, too. 是的,我还拿了你的橡皮。

九、Talking About Time 叙述时间
121. What time is it now? 现在几点?
122. It's two o'clock. 现在两点。
123. It's a quarter past five. 现在是五点一刻。
124. It's ten minutes to four. 现在差十分四点。
125. It's half past nine. 现在是九点半。
126. It's one o'clock sharp. 现在一点整。
127. It's not four o'clock. 还没到四点呢。
128. My watch says two o'clock. 我的表是两点钟。
129. My watch is two minutes fast. 我的表快了两分钟。
130. What's the time by your watch? 你的表几点了?
131. We must arrive there on time. 我们必须准时到那儿。
132. There are only two minutes left. 只剩两分钟了。
133. Can you finish your work ahead of time? 你能提前完成工作吗?
134. The flight is delayed. 飞机晚点起飞。
135. The meeting is put off. 会议延期了。

十、About Dates 关于日期
136. What day is today? 今天星期几?
137. Today is Monday. 今天星期一。
138. What's the date today? 今天几号?
139. Today is May 21st. 今天是五月二十一号。
140. When were you born? 你什么时候出生的?
141. I was born on September 1st, 1976. 我出生在1976年9月1日。
142. What time? 什么时候?
143. You name the time. 你定时间吧。
144. I'll meet you tomorrow. 我们明天见面。
145. Do you know the exact date? 你知道确切日期吗?
146. Please check the date. 请核实一下日期。
147. What were you doing this time last year? 去年这时候你在干什么?
148. How long will the sale last? 折价销售多久?
149. Only three days. 仅三天。
150. I'll be back in 5 days. 我五天之后回来。


第二册

一、About Visits 关于拜访
151. Hello. Can I see Mr. Green? 你好,我能见格林先生吗?
152. Do you have an appointment? 你有预约吗?
153. Sorry, I don't. 对不起,我没有。
154. Yes. At 3 pm. 是的,约的是下午3点。
155. Sorry, Mr. Green can't see you now. 对不起,格林先生现在不能见您。
156. He's on the phone. 他在打电话。
157. Would you wait here for a minute? 您能在这里等一下吗?
158. Would you like something to drink? 您想喝点什么吗?
159. Tea, please. 我喝点茶吧。
160. Mr. Green, Mr. Smith is here. 格林先生,史密斯先生在这里。
161. You may go in now. 您可以进去了。
162. Nice to see you, my old friend. 真高兴见到你,我的老朋友。
163. How have you been these years? 这些年你怎么样?
164. You've changed little. 你一点也没变。
165. Do you still remember that Christmas? 你仍记得那个圣诞节吗?

二、About Language 关于语言
166. Do you speak English? 你会说英语吗?
167. Yes, a little. 会讲一点。
168. How long have you studied English? 你学英语多久了?
169. He speaks English fluently. 他讲英语很流利。
170. Your English is very good. 你的英语很好。
171. You speak English pretty well. 你的英语讲的很好。
172. Are you a native speaker of English? 你的母语是英语吗?
173. My native language is Chinese. 我的母语是汉语。
174. He speaks with London accent. 他带点伦敦口音。
175. He has a strong accent. 他口音很重。
176. I have some difficulty in expressing myself. 我表达起来有点困难。
177. I'm always confused with "s" and "th". 我常把s和th搞混。
178. Can you write in English? 你能用英文写文章吗?
179. Your pronunciation is excellent. 你的发音很好。
180. How can I improve my spoken English? 我该怎样才能提高口语水平?

三、Talking About Activities 谈论活动
181. What are you doing? 你在干什么?
182. I'm reading a book. 我在看书。
183. I'm cooking. 我在做饭。
184. Are you watching TV now? 你在看电视吗?
185. Yes, I'm watching Channel 5. 是的,我在看5频道。
186. No, I'm listening to the radio. 没有,我在听收音机。
187. Where are you going? 你去哪儿?
188. I'm going to work. 我去上班。
189. Who are you writing to? 你在给谁写信?
190. I'm writing to an old friend. 给一个老朋友。
191. What will you do this weekend? 这周末你将干什么?
192. I'll go to a concert. 我要去听音乐会。
193. I'll go on an outing with some friends. 我与朋友去郊游。
194. Do you like traveling? 你喜欢郊游吗?
195. Yes, I like it a great deal/it very much. 是的,我很喜欢。

四、 About Age 关于年龄
196. How old are you? 你多大了?
197. I'm twenty-two (years old). 我二十二了。
198. Mr. Smith is still in his forties. 史密斯先生才四十几岁。
199. I'm two years younger than my sister. 我比我姐小两岁。
200. My elder sister is one year older than her husband. 我姐比他丈夫大一岁。
201. He's the youngest in the family. 他是一家中最小的。
202. He looks much younger than he is. 他看起来比他实际上年轻得多。
203. I came here when I was 20. 我二十岁来这儿。
204. I started school at the age of 6. 我六岁开始上学。
205. My father is over 60 years old. 我父亲已年过六十了。
206. Most of them are less than 30. 他们中大多数不到30岁。
207. I guess he's about 30. 我猜他大概30岁。
208. She's going to be 15 next month. 下个月她就满15了。
209. They'll have a party for their 10th wedding anniversary.
他们将为结婚十周年开个晚会。
210. He's still a boy after all. 他毕竟还只是个孩子。

五、 Talking About Daily Activities 谈论日常生活
211. When do you get up everyday? 每天你几点起床?
212. I usually get up at 8 o'clock. 我通常8点起床。
213. Where do you have your lunch? 你在哪儿吃午饭?
214. I have my lunch in a snack bar nearby. 我在附近一家快餐店吃午饭。
215. What did you have for lunch? 你中午吃些什么?
216. I had a hamburger and a fried chicken leg? 我吃一个汉堡包,一个炸鸡腿。
217. What time do you start work? 你什么时候开始工作?
218. I start work at 8 o'clock. 我八点开始工作。
219. What do you do at work? 你上班干些什么?
220. I answer telephones and do some typing. 我接电话和打字。
221. What time do you finish your work? 你什么时候下班?
222. At 6 o'clock sharp. 6点。
223. What do you do in your spare time? 闲暇时,你干些什么?
224. I like listening to pop music. 我喜欢听流行音乐。
225. I like playing football. 我喜欢踢足球。

六、 Talking About Yesterday 谈论昨天的事
226. When did you get up yesterday morning? 你昨天早上几点起床?
227. At about seven. 七点左右。
228. I heard the clock, but I didn't get up until 9. 我听见闹钟了,但我捱到九点才起。
229. I woke up seven and got up right away. 我七点醒了,然后马上起床了。
230. I hurried to my office. 我匆忙赶到办公室。
231. I had my breakfast on the way. 我在路上吃的早饭。
232. I was just on time. 我刚好赶上。
233. I was 10 minutes late. 我迟到了五分钟。
234. I had lunch with a friend of mine. 我和我的一个朋友一块吃了午饭。
235. I finished my work at 6 p.m. 下午6点我下班了。
236. I stayed and did some extra work. 我留下加了一会儿班。
237. The TV programs were really boring, so I went to bed very early.
电视节目很无聊,所以我早早睡了。
238. I read a magazine in bed. 我躺在床上看杂志。
239. I didn't sleep well. 我没睡好。
240. I slept soundly all night. 我整夜睡的很熟。

七、 Talking With Friends 与朋友聊天
241. Hi, Joe, is it really you? 乔,你好,真是你吗?
242. Hi, Ann. Nice to see you again. 安,你好。真高兴再次见到你。
243. It's been a whole year since I last saw you. 我整整一年没见你了。
244. Yes, but you look as pretty now, as you did then. 但你看起来还是那么漂亮。
245. Oh, thank you. How have you been these days? 欧,谢谢。这段时间你好吗?
246. Not too bad. 不太糟。
247. But you sound so sad. 但听起来你很悲伤。
248. Yes, I lost my pet cat yesterday. 是啊,昨天我的宠物猫丢了。
249. Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. 听到这消息我很遗憾。
250. That's all right. 没事儿。
251. Have you seen Kate lately? 最近你看见凯特了吗?
252. No, I have no contact with her. 没有。我和她没有一点儿联系。
253. I heard she got married last week. 我听说她上星期结婚了。
254. Oh, how nice. Sorry, I've got to go now. 那真好。对不起,我必须得走了。
255. So do I. See you later. Keep in touch. 我也是,再见。记得联系哦。

八、 Talking About The Past 谈论过去
256. I used to take a walk in the early morning. 我过去常一大早出去散步。
257. He used to live in my neighborhood. 他曾与我是邻居。
258. Did you use to go fishing with friends? 过去你常和朋友钓鱼吗?
259. We have known each other for 6 years. 我们认识有六年了。
260. It has been a long time since last came here. 自从我上次来这里已经有很长时间了。
261. Have you seen Mr. Smith recently? 最近你见过史密斯先生吗?
262. They've been working on this project since last year.
他们从去年开始一直都在做这个项目。
263. I've been watching TV all night. 我看了一整晚的电视。
264. The movie began as soon as we got there. 我们一到那儿电影就开始了。
265. When I arrived at the station, the train had already left. 我到车站时,火车已经开了。
266. The late arrival of the ship had messed up all our plans.
船到晚了,把我们的计划全打乱了。
267. I had thought he knew the time of the meeting. 我原以为他知道开会时间。
268. They had excepted me to go with them. 他们原本希望我和他们一起去。
269. That was the third time that I had visited the place. 那是我第三次参观那地方了。
270. After I had finished my paper, I put it in the drawer. 我写完论文,就把它放在抽屉了。

九、 Asking About The Address 询问地址
271. Hi, Jack, where do you live now? 你好,杰克,你现在住哪儿?
272. I live at 203 Curzon Street. 我住在可胜街203号。
273. Curzon Street? Isn't Mary living there? 可胜街?玛丽不是也住那儿吗?
274. Yes, she lives just across the street. 是的,她就住在街对面。
275. How long have you stayed there? 你在那儿住多久了?
276. Just a few months. 才几个月。
277. How about Mary? How long has she lived there? 玛丽怎么样?她在那儿住多久了?
278. She's been living there since her birth. 她生下来就住那儿。
279. Will you stay there for long? 你会在那儿待很长时间吗?
280. No, I'll move to Hollywood next month. 不,我下个月搬到好莱坞去。
281. Oh, really? I'm moving there too. 真的?我也会搬到那儿去。
282. Great. Then we can drink beer together. 棒极了,我们可以一起喝啤酒了。
283. Yes, and you may stay there longer. 对,而且你也许会在那儿住久一些。
284. I hope so. 希望如此。
285. I'm sure we'll have a good time. 我相信我们会很开心的。

十、 Asking Questions 提问题
286. Where are you going? 你去哪儿?
287. Where did you go for dinner yesterday? 你们昨天去哪儿吃的饭?
288. When will he come to see you? 他什么时候来看你?
289. When did you buy the car? 你什么时候买的车?
290. Who told you? 谁告诉你的?
291. Who will accompany you to the airport? 谁将陪你去机场?
292. Why don't you agree? 你为什么不同意?
293. Why not go out for a walk? 干吗不出去散步?
294. How did you doing spend your holiday? 你假期怎么过的?
295. How are you doing these days? 这些日子你怎么样?
296. What did he say in the letter? 他在信里说什么了?
297. What are you going to do with the books? 你打算拿这些书怎么办?
298. What were you doing when I called? 我打电话给你时你在干吗?
299. I was about to leave. 我正要出门。
300. Can you guess what I was doing this morning? 你能猜到今天上午我在做什么吗?


第三册

一、 Measuring And Comparing 形容物品、度量、比较
301. What's the height of the building? 这座楼有多高?
302. How much does the elephant weight? 这个大象有多重?
303. What's the color of your new dress? 你的新衣服是什么颜色的?
304. What's the size of your shoes? 你的鞋多大尺寸?
305. My brother is twice as tall as your sister. 我弟弟比你妹妹高一倍。
306. My grandma is 40 years older than me. 我祖母比我大40岁。
307. This river is one third as long as that river. 这条河只有那条河的三分之一长。
308. What's the shape of your balloon? 你的气球是什么形状?
309. How wide is this bridge? 这座桥有多宽?
310. How thick is the ice here? 这儿的冰有多厚?
311. This metal is harder than that one. 这种金属比那种硬。
312. He can run as fast as Jim. 他跑的和吉姆一样快。
313. Kate is smarter than I. 凯特比我聪明。
314. How long do you watch TV every day? 你每天看多长时间电视?
315. How often do you go swimming? 你多久去游一次泳?

二、 Asking For Help 寻求帮助
316. Would you please open the door for me? 请你帮忙开个门好吗?
317. May I ask you a question? 我能问你个问题吗?
318. Please give me a hand. 请帮我个忙。
319. Could you do me a favor? 能请你帮个忙吗?
320. Would you help me remove the refrigerator? 能帮忙移一下冰箱吗?
321. Get me my coat, please. 请帮我拿下外套。
322. Make me a cup of coffee, will you? 给我冲杯咖啡,好吗?
323. Call me tomorrow if you have time. 明天要有时间就给我打个电话。
324. Could you tell me where I can find these books? 您能告诉我在哪儿能找到这些书吗?
325. Certainly. 当然了。
326. Witch pleasure. 很高兴。
327. I'm sorry. I'm engaged now. 对不起,我现在正忙着。
328. I'm glad to, but I'm afraid I don't have the time. 我很乐意,但我恐怕没时间。
329. Would you mind closing the window for me? 能帮我关一下窗户吗?(你介意关下窗户吗?)
330. Not at all. 当然可以。(当然不介意)

三、 Asking Directions 打听情况和问路
331. Excuse me, madam. Could you tell me where the post office is?
对不起,女士,请问邮局在哪里?
332. It's just around the corner. 转弯就是。
333. Excuse me, how can I get to the bus station? 对不起,汽车站怎么走?
334. You can take the bus and get off at the second stop.
你可以坐公共汽车第二站下。
335. Excuse me. Where is No.5 Street? 对不起,第五大街在哪儿?
336. Go straight ahead and turn left at the second crossing.
一直往前走,在第二个十字路口往左拐。
337. Excuse me. Can you tell me how to get to Mr. Hu's restaurant?
对不起,你能告诉我怎么去胡先生的餐馆吗?
338. Go on for about 100 meters. It's on your left side. You can't miss it.
往前走约100米,在你左手边,你不会错过的。
339. Which one is Mr. Jame's office? 哪间是詹姆司先生的办公室?
340. It's Room 201 on the second floor. 二楼201房间。
341. Can I use the lift? 我能用电梯吗?
342. Sorry, it's broken. You have to use the stairs. 对不起,它坏了,你只能走楼梯了。
343. Where are the stairs? 楼梯在哪里呢?
344. Go along the corridor and it's on your right side. 沿着走廊走,在你右手边。
345. Thank you for directions. 感谢你为我指路。

四、 About Marriage 关于婚姻
346. Are you married? 你结婚了吗?
347. I'm single. 我现在单身。
348. You have a younger brother, don't you? 你有个弟弟,是吗?
349. How is your family? 你的家人怎么样?
350. She's engaged/married to John. 她和约翰订婚/结婚了。
351. How long have you been married? 你们结婚多久了?
352. We've been married for 2 years. 我们结婚两年了。
353. My parents got married in 1954. 我父母1954年结婚的。
354. Mary gave birth to a baby last week. 玛丽上星期做妈妈了。
355. They've been divorced. 他们已离婚了。
356. His wife died a year ago. Now he lives alone. 他妻子去年去世了。现在他一个人住。
357. My aunt will come to live with me for some days. 我阿姨会来和我住一些日子。
358. John has his own family now. 约翰现在有自己的家了。
359. Do you live with your parents? 你和你父母住一起吗?
360. No. I live in my own house. 不,我住在自己的房子里。

五、 Talking About Neighbors And Friends 谈论邻居和朋友
361. Do you know Mary? 你认识玛丽吗?
362. Sure. We are friends since primary school. 当然,我们从小学就是朋友了。
363. Really? I was introduced to her just last weekend. 真的?上周末我才被介绍给她。
364. What is she doing now? 她现在干些什么呢?
365. She told me she wanted to start a company. 她告诉我她想开公司。
366. Start a company? But I thought she would be a scholar.
开公司?我原以为她会成为一个学者
367. People are always changing, aren't they? 人总是在变,不是吗?
368. Yes, you're right. After all, she is smart enough to go into business.
是啊,你说的对。毕竟,她完全有经商才智。
369. But she doesn't have much experience. 但她没有太多经验。
370. You two don't have much contact? 你们俩没怎么联系吗?
371. No, I only wrote her one letter this year. 是的,今年我才给她写过一封信。
372. And she? 她呢?
373. She sent me a Christmas card last year. 去年寄过一张圣诞卡。
374. Oh, that's not good. 哦,那可不好。
375. Yes, we should try to contact more. 是的,我们应该联系多点。

六、 Planning The Future 计划将来
376. What time are you going to leave for the airport tomorrow?
你明天打算什么时候去机场?
377. Is he coming to dinner? 他回来吃饭吗?
378. I'm going to the bookstore. Will you go with me? 我要去书店,你和我去吗?
379. They're going to discuss it at the meeting next Friday.
他们将在下周五的会上讨论这个问题。
380. I'll be waiting for you at the restaurant this time tomorrow.
我明天这时候在餐馆等你。
381. After I get home, I'll call you. 到家以后,我会给你打电话。
382. How will you spend the evening? 你晚上干什么?
383. I'll probably stay home and watch TV. 我可能会呆在家看电视。
384. What's your plan for the summer holiday? 暑假计划干什么?
385. I'm thinking about a visit to Paris. 我在考虑去巴黎旅游。
386. There's going to be a pottery exhibition at the art gallery.
艺术馆将有一次陶瓷展。
387. You are still thinking about a Ph.D., aren't you?
你还是想学成博士,是吗?
388. What will you do about it? 你会拿这事怎么办?
389. What do you want to do after graduation? 你毕业后想干什么?
390. I'll further my study. 我想继续深造。

七、 Talking About The Weather 谈论天气
391. Have you heard the weather forecast? 你听天气预报了吗?
392. No, what does it say? 没有,它说什么了?
393. We'll have fine weather for the next few days? 以后几天天气晴朗。
394. But it's still raining today! 可今天还在下雨。
395. It is said it will clear up tonight. 天气预报说今晚雨就会停。
396. What will it be after the clear weather? 晴天以后天气会怎么样?
397. It says a storm may come next month. 天气预报说下个月会有一场暴风雨。
398. And it may get colder, it's already November. 并且天气会更冷。
399. Yes, and I hope we can have some snow this winter. 是的,我希望今年冬天会下雪。
400. I'm afraid it won't be cold enough for a snowfall. 我恐怕天不会冷的下雪。
401. But last year we had a big one. 但去年下了大雪。
402. Yes, but you know global warming may raise the temperature.
是的,但全球变暖会使气温上升。
403. You are probably right. 你也许是对的。
404. I'm going skating in the Alps next month. 下个月我去阿尔卑斯山滑雪。
405. I hope the weather there is cold enough. 我希望那儿天气够冷。

八、 About Sickness 关于生病
406. How are you feeling today? 你今天感觉怎么样?
407. I don't feel very well. 我觉得不太舒服。
408. Do you fell better now? 你现在觉得好点了吗?
409. Much better. 好多了。
410. I'm sick. 我病了。
411. He's got a bad headache. 他头痛的厉害。
412. My fever is gone. 我的烧已经退了。
413. What's the matter with you? 你怎么啦?
414. I've got a pain in my back. 我背疼。
415. It really hurts. 可真疼。
416. It hurts right here. 就这儿疼。
417. It's bleeding. You'd better see a doctor about that cut.
在流血呢,你最好找个医生看看这伤口。
418. Call the doctor! 快打电话叫医生!
419. Take two pills and have a good rest. 吃两片药,好好休息一下。
420. I hope you'll be well soon. 祝你早日恢复健康。

九、 Talking About Habits 谈论日常生活习惯
421. I get up at 8 every morning. 每天早上我8点起床。
422. I then take a bath in the bathroom. 然后我去洗澡间洗个澡。
423. I shave, brush my teeth, and comb my hair. 我洗脸,刷牙,梳头。
424. I put on a bit of makeup. 我化一点妆。
425. I cooked breakfast for the family. 我为一家人做早餐。
426. I go downstairs and have my breakfast. 我下楼吃早饭。
427. I read the newspaper over breakfast. 我边吃早饭边看报纸。
428. I wake my sister up. 我叫醒我妹妹。
429. I dress my sister and wash her hands and face.
我给我妹妹穿衣服,洗脸洗手。
430. I get to my office at 10:30. 十点半到办公室。
431. I leave the office at 7. 我七点离开办公室。
433. I buy some food on my way home. 我回家路上买些吃的。
434. I pick up my sister from her school. 我到学校接妹妹。
435. We go to bed at 10:30. 我们十点半睡觉。

十、 Asking For Other's Opinions 询问别人的意见。
436. What do you think about it? 你对此怎么看?
437. Is that right? 那样对吗?
438. Absolutely right. 绝对正确。
439. I think you're mistaken about that. 我想你那样不对。
440. Is that ok? 这样行吗?
441. That's ok/fine. 挺好的。
442. That's excellent. 那太棒了。
443. He was absent yesterday. Do you know why? 昨天他没到,你知道为什么吗?
444. Do you have any idea? 你怎么想?
445. I suppose he was sick. 我猜他大概是病了。
446. Will it rain tomorrow? 明天会下雨吗?
447. No, I don't think so. 不,我想不会。
448. Do you really want to know what I think? 你真想知道我怎么想吗?
449. Please give me your advice. 请给我提些建议。
450. I want to hear your opinion. 我想听听你们想法。


第四册

一、Making Plans 订计划
451. What do you plan to do this Friday? 明天你打算干什么?
452. What are you doing next week? 下周你干什么?
453. I plan to go to the concert. 我打算去听音乐会。
454. I'm thinking of going to my grandma's. 我想去外婆家。
455. I'll go skiing of the weather permits. 天气允许的话,我会去滑雪。
456. I suppose I can finish the project next year. 我想我明年完成此工程。
457. I have no idea. 我不知道。
458. It's up to you. 由你决定。
459. I'm considering buying a house. 我想买套房子。
460. Hi, Jack, what lessons will you take this semester? 你好,杰克,这学期你选什么课?
461. Hi, Lucy. I'll take French and Economics. 你好,露西,我想选法语和经济。
462. I'm taking Chinese and History. 我将选中文和历史。
463. Do you plan to do some odd jobs? 你打算打工吗?
464. Yes, I'm applying to work at the library. 是的,我在申请图书馆管理员的工作。
465. Good luck! 祝你好运。

二、 About Decisions 关于决定
466. It's up to you. 由你决定。
467. You have the final say. 你说了算。
468. She insists that it doesn't matter. 她坚持说那没关系。
469. He's made up his mind to quit his job. 他已决定辞去他的工作。
470. I've decided not to sell the house. 我决定不卖房子了。
471. I'm determined to leave. 我决意要走了。
472. Have you decided? 你决定了吗?
473. No, I haven't decided yet. 不,还没有。
474. I've changed my mind. 我改注意了。
475. It's still undecided. 还没决定。
476. Don't hesitate any more. 别在犹豫了。
477. Give me a definite answer, please. 请给个明确的答复。
478. It's really hard to make a decision. 挺难做决定的。
479. I'm always making resolutions, like giving up smoking. 我总在做出决定,比如戒烟。
450. Don't shilly-shally. 别犹豫不决。

三、 Traveling 旅游
481. Do you like traveling? 你喜欢旅游吗?
482. Yes, I've just come back from Scotland. 是的,我刚从苏格兰回来。
483. How did you get there? 你怎么去的?
484. I got there by plane. 我坐飞机去的。
485. Where did you visit? 你去参观了哪些地方?
486. I only had time to visit Edinburgh. 我只有时间去爱丁堡。
487. How did you like it? 你喜欢那儿吗?
488. It's fantastic. 那儿棒极了。
489. Why did you go there? 你为什么去那儿?
490. I went there on business. 我出差到那儿。
491. And do you have friends there? 你在那儿有朋友吗?
492. Yes, a lot of friends. 是的,很多。
493. You must have enjoyed yourself. 你一定玩的很开心。
494. Yes, and I took many pictures. 是的,我还照了好多照片。
495. Please let me see them. 让我看看。

四、 About Shopping 关于购物
496. Will you go shopping with me? 你跟我去买东西吗?
497. Here's your change. 这是找你的钱。
498. I'll go to pick up some odds and ends at the store. 我要到商店买些零碎的东西。
499. Excuse me, would you tell me where I can get some butter?
打扰一下,您能告诉我黄油在哪儿卖吗?
500. May I have a look at the watch? 我能看看这块表吗?
501. May I try it on? 我能试试吗?
502. This is too small for me. Do you have a bigger one? 这个太小了,有大点的吗?
503. Do you have any more colors? 有别的颜色吗?
504. What's your size? 你穿多大号?
505. It suits you to a T. 特别适合你。
506. It's too expensive for me. 对于我来说太贵了。
507. Can you came down a bit? 可以再便宜点吗?
508. I'll take it. 我买了。
509. How much is it? 这卖多少钱?
510. How much do I owe you? 我该付多少钱?

五、 In The Restaurant 餐馆进餐
511. What would you like to eat? 你想吃点什么?
512. Are you ready to order? 你要点菜了吗?
513. I'd like some steak and bread. 我要牛排和面包。
514. What would you like for dessert? 你要什么甜点?
515. I'll have some ice cream. 我要冰淇淋。
516. Do you want some fruit? 你要水果吗?
517. Yes, please. I want an apple. 是的,我要一个苹果。
518. Anything to drink? 喝点什么?
519. A small glass of whisky, please. 请来一小杯威士忌。
520. Here is your food. 你的菜来了。
521. Bring me the bill please. 请买单。
522. Can I pay by check or credit card? 我能用支票或信用卡吗?
523. Sorry, we only take cash. 对不起,我们只收现金。
524. Here you are. 给。
525. Here is your change. 找您的钱。

六、 About Evening Entertainment 关于夜生活
526. I'm free tonight. 我今晚有空。
527. Shall we go to the cinema? 我们去看电影好吗?
528. Do you know what's on tonight? 你知道今天上演什么?
529. May I ask you for a dance? 可以请你跳支舞吗?
530. With pleasure. 很荣幸。
531. Sorry, I'm engaged. 对不起,我有约在先了。
532. What about another dance? 再跳一曲好吗?
533. You're a good dancer. 你舞跳的真好。
534. What's on Channel 8 now? 现在8频道播什么节目?
535. I don't know. You may look in the TV Guide. 我不知道,你可以看看《电视报》。
536. Let's see what else is on. 咱们看看有没有别的节目。
537. Did you see the special last night? 昨晚你看特别节目了吗?
538. I don't want to see any more of this TV show. 我不想再看这个电视节目了。
539. Can we change the channel? 能换个频道吗?
540. I want to see the weather. 我想看天气预报。

七、 Appointments 约会
541. I'd like to make an appointment with Mrs. Green. 我想约个时间见格林女士。
542. She's free on Friday and Saturday. 她周五和周六有空。
543. Sorry, can I see her before Friday? 对不起,我能周五之前见她吗?
544. Let me see. She has 30 minutes Tuesday afternoon. 让我查查,她周二下午有30分钟。
545. At what time? 什么时间?
546. From 4 to 4:30. 四点到四点半。
547. All right. 好吧。
548. So you'll come then. Please phone in if you can't make it.
那么你就那时来,如果来不了,请打电话给我。
549. I have an interview this afternoon. 我今天下午有面试。
550. I can come any time except Sunday. 除星期天外我都能来。
551. You can reach me at 6609823. 你打电话6609823就能找到我。
552. He phoned to cancel the meeting. 他打电话来取消会议。
553. Please call me before you come. 你来之前请打电话。
554. Please make an appointment with my secretary. 请跟我秘书定个见面时间。
555. I have to change my appointment from Monday to Thursday.
我不得不把约会从周一改到周四。

八、 Seeing A Doctor 看医生
556. What's your trouble? 你有什么不舒服?
557. How long have you had it? 你得这病多久了?
558. I should say you've caught a cold. 我看你感冒了。
559. You need an injection. 你需要打针。
560. Is it serious? 我的病严重吗?
561. Do I need to be hospitalized? 我需要住院吗?
562. Have you seen the doctor? 你看过医生了吗?
563. What did the doctor say? 医生怎么说?
564. Jack is up and about now. 杰克病后复原了。
565. The doctor says that I should take quinine. 医生说我应该服用奎宁。
566. What sort of medicine do you take? 你吃的是什么药?
567. The doctor says that I should not eat anything oily. 医生说我不能吃油腻的东西。
568. I had a shot of penicillin. 我打了一针青霉素。
569. You have to be operated on. 你得做手术。
570. He gave me a chest X-ray and took my blood pressure.
他给我做了X光胸透并量了血压。

九、 Making A Phonecall 打电话
571. Hello. May I speak to Mr. Green? 你好,我找格林先生。
572. Just a moment. 等一会儿。
573. Hold on. 等一会儿。
574. He's not in. May I take a message for him? 他不在,我能替他捎个口信吗?
575. Yes, please. 是的,麻烦了。
576. Would you answer the phone please? 你能接下电话吗?
577. I want to make a long distance call. 我想打个长途电话。
578. This is Mary Speaking. 我是玛丽。
579. Would you tell Mr. Green that I called? 你能告诉格林先生我给他打了个电话吗?
580. I must have dialed a wrong number. 我一定拨错号了。
581. I couldn't get through. 我打不通。
582. I have to hang up now. 我得挂电话了。
583. Would you call back tomorrow? 你能明天回个电话吗?
584. There's something wrong with the phone. 电话出了点儿毛病。
585. I tried to call you, but the line was busy. 我试着给你打电话,但老占线。

十、 About Mail 关于邮政
586. I have received a letter from my cousin. 我收到了我表兄的信。
587. I haven't heard from him for a long time. 我很久没有收到他的信了。
588. Send a postcard to me when you arrive in Shanghai. 你到上海以后给我发张明信片。
589. I put some photographs in the envelope. 我在信里夹了几张照片。
590. He hasn't answered my letter yet. 他还没有给我回信。
591. My mother mailed me a parcel. 我妈给我寄了一个包裹。
592. We keep in touch with each other by Email since he left China.
他离开中国以后,我们用Email保持联系。
593. Don't forget to put stamps on your letter. 别忘了贴邮票。
594. How long does it take for a letter to get to America from Beijing?
信从北京到美国要多久?
595. You've got an express mail. 你有特快专递。
596. To make it fast, you can send a fax. 要想快点的话就发个传真。
597. My mother has sent me a registered letter, I guess she has something important to tell me. 我妈给我发了一封挂号信,我想她有什么重要的事情要说。
598. I find my name on the blackboard. I must have got a remittance.
我在黑板上看到我的名字,肯定有我的汇款。
599. Do you want to airmail it or not? 你想发航空信吗?
600. I drop the letter into the mailbox in front of the Post Office.
我把信塞进邮局前面的邮筒里。


第五册

一、 Talking About Feelings 叙述感受
601. You look radiant tonight. 你今晚真是光彩照人。
602. It was a terrible experience. 那是一次可怕的经历。
603. I am on top of the world. 我高兴到了极点。
604. The dinner was wonderful. 晚餐棒极了。
605. The Christmas tree is gorgeous. 圣诞树真华美。
606. What a boring movie it is! 多么无聊的一场电影啊。
607. How can he give us such a tedious lecture! 他怎么能做这么沉闷乏味的演讲。
608. How fragrant the flowers are! 这些花真香!
609. The party is making too much noise. 这次聚会太吵了。
610. You look elegant in that dress. 你穿这条裙子显的很漂亮。
611. The coat doesn't suit you. 这件外衣不太适合你。
612. His flattery makes me sick. 他的恭维让我恶心。
613. We had a good time. 我们玩的很开心。
614. We enjoyed ourselves very much. 我们玩的很开心。
615. I am bored to death. 我无聊死了。

二、 Looking For A House 寻找住房
616. This house is for rent. 此房出租。
617. It's really a bargain. 租金很便宜。
618. I want to rent a furnished house. 我想要有家具的房子。
619. That house is for sale. It has central heating. 此房出售,房子里有供暖设备。
620. What kind of furniture do you like? 你喜欢什么样的家具?
621. This is a rather old house. It needs painting. 这房子挺旧的,得刷一下才行。
622. I want an apartment with two bedrooms and a kitchen.
我想要一套有两间卧室和一个厨房的公寓。
623. The houses downtown are very expensive. 市区的房子很贵。
624. How much is the rent for a month? 每月租金多少?
625. I feel at home living here. The landlady is very kind to me.
我觉得住在这里象在家里一样。房东太太对我很好。
626. We have a few kitchen things and a dining room set.
我们有一些厨房用具和一套餐厅设备。
627. There's no gas range in the kitchen, but you can use the electric stove.
厨房里没有煤气灶,但你可以用电炉。
628. There is a shower in the bathroom. 浴室里有淋浴器。
629. I have a dog, but it's very quiet. 我有一只狗,不过它很安静。
630. The room has a big closet. You can put your baggage in it.
房间里有一个很大的壁橱,你可以把你的行李放进去。

三、 Talking About Dressing 谈论衣着
631. What will you wear for the party? 晚会上你穿什么?
632. I'll wear my blue dress. 我会穿我的兰色裙子。
633. Don't you think it's too formal? 你不觉得太正式了吗?
634. Why? What will you wear? 为什么?你会穿什么?
635. Just my shirt and jeans. 我就穿衬衣和牛仔裤。
636. You should have your suit cleaned and ironed. 你应该把你的套装拿去洗烫一下。
637. You'd better put on your jacket. It's cold outside. 你最好穿上夹克,外面冷。
638. The blouse no longer fits me. 这件衬衣不再合我身了。
639. My son has outgrown these trousers. 我儿子已经长的穿不了这条裤子了。
640. The shoes are worn-out. 这鞋已经不能穿了。
641. I don't like wearing the uniform. 我不喜欢穿制服。
642. Do you want to change before the banquet? 宴会前你想换衣服吗?
643. Your shoe lace is loose. 你的鞋带松了。
644. You forgot to fasten the collar buttons. 你忘了系鞋带。
645. Take off your hat. It doesn't fit. 取下你的帽子,它不适合你。

四、 Expressing Different Opinions 表达不同的观点
646. He is a very creative student. 他是个很有创造力的学生。
647. What you have said about this is very interesting. 你说的很有意思。
648. I cannot agree with you on this point. 在这一点上,我不能同意你的意见。
649. You've got the point. 你抓住了问题的实质。
650. That's the point. 这正是问题的关键。
651. The whole class is in a heated discussion. 全班同学正在热烈讨论。
652. Let's just run through the arguments for and against.
我们来看一下赞成和反对的理由。
653. Please sum up what you said just now. 请把你刚才说的总结一下。
654. Has anybody else anything to say on this? 关于这点,谁还有什么别的要说吗?
655. Does anybody share David's opinion? 有谁同意大卫的观点吗?
656. Is there any evidence to support what you have said? 有什么证据可以支持你的说法吗?
657. Well, it depends. 这得视情况而定。
658. I don't think it's necessary for us to discuss this question any further.
我想我们没有必要进一步讨论这个问题。
659. There are always two sides to everything. 每件是都有两面性。
660. Finally, we came to an agreement. 最后我们达成了一致。

五、 About Things In The future 考虑将来可能从事的活动
661. I want to be a journalist after graduation. 毕业后我想当记者。
662. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, we'll have a picnic. 如果明天不下雨,我们就去野餐。
663. As soon as he comes, we'll let him know. 他一来,我们就告诉他。
664. You can stay as long as you pay the rent on time. 只要你按时交房租,你就能住这儿。
665. When she leaves, he'll cry for a day. 她走时,他会哭一天。
666. She will go into business when she likes to. 她想经商时就会去经商。
667. I'll leave for London if I finish my work today. 如果我今天完成工作,我就会去伦敦。
668. I'll work for 5 years and then go back to school. 我会工作五年,然后会学校。
669. He will become a writer if he goes on doing well in writing.
如果他仍写的这么好的话,他将成为一个作家。
670. I hope he will meet me at the airport. 我希望他能到机场接我。
671. I'm thinking of quitting the job. 我在考虑辞职。
672. I plan to learn photography. 我打算学摄影。
673. What do you say we have a party this weekend? 我们周末开个派对,你觉得怎么样?
674. She will certainly remain single. 她肯定会保持独身。
675. He will probably follow in his father's footsteps. 他可能会继承父业。

六、 Things That Might Have Happened 可能发生的事
676. I would have had a much better holiday if I had stayed at home.
我要是呆在家里的话,假期会好过的多。
677. What have you been doing since I saw you last time?
自从我上次见到你以后你都在干什么?
678. If I had got enough money yesterday, I would have bought that tape.
如果我昨天钱够的话,我就买了那盒磁带了。
679. Looking back on it, I think I shouldn't have given up the contest so easily.
回过头来看,我想我不应该如此轻易的放弃那次比赛。
680. Had I taken a taxi, I wouldn't have been late. 如果我打的去的话就不会迟到了。
681. Even if you take the exam again, you won't pass it.
就算再考一次你也通不过。
682. Even if you had given him much more money, he might not have paid off the debt.
就算你给了他更多的钱,他也还不清债务。
683. What would you have done if you hadn't gone out for a picnic yesterday?
如果你昨天没有出去野餐的话。你会干什么?
684. I wish I had told him the truth. 我真希望我把真相告诉了他。
685. I wish you hadn't cheated me. 我希望你没有欺骗我。
686. If it had been fine, we would have gone to the park.
如果天气好的话,我们就去公园了。
687. Would he have seen you if you hadn't waved to him?
如果你没有朝他挥手,他能看见你吗?
688. You should have studied much harder. 你本应该更努力的学习。
689. I had thought about arguing with the teacher about that, but I didn't have enough courage. 我本想和老师争论那个问题,但我没有足够的勇气。
690. I had thought about living with my grandparents when my parents went abroad last year. 当我的父母去年出国的时候,我本想和我的祖父母住在一起。

七、 Talking About Likes And Dislikes 询问喜欢和不喜欢的事
691. What's your favorite sport? 你最喜欢什么运动?
692. I like football best. 我最喜欢足球。
693. Football is my favorite. 足球是我最喜欢的。
694. Which do you prefer, fishing or mountain-climbing? 钓鱼和登山,你更喜欢哪一个?
695. Neither. 一个都不喜欢。
696. What do you like best, apples, pears, or bananas? 苹果,梨,香蕉,你最喜欢哪个?
697. He's crazy about Michael Jordan. 他疯狂喜爱迈克·乔丹。
698. She hates boxing. 她讨厌拳击。
699. She is sick of watching boxing. 她厌恶观看拳击。
700. She has good taste in clothes. 她对服装很有鉴赏力。
701. What do you like to do in your spare time? 空闲时你喜欢干什么?
702. I like collecting stamps. 我喜欢收集邮票。
703. I prefer tea to coffee. 和咖啡相比,我更喜欢茶。
704. What do you dislike most about this movie? 这部电影你最不喜欢什么?
705. I would rather sleep than watch this movie. 我情愿睡觉也不看这部电影。

八、 Putting Forward Your Own Opinions 提出自己的想法。
706. You should take the advice of your teacher. 你应该听老师的话?
707. That's just what I was looking for. 那正是我所期待的。
708. It might be, I suppose. 我想可能是这样。
709. Good try, but not quite right. 是个很好的尝试,但并不完全正确。
710. That's rather disappointing. 真是让人失望。
711. In my opinion, your new coat is not worth so much money.
我认为你的外套不值得这么多钱。
712. Would you mind not spitting everywhere? 不要随地吐痰行吗?
713. It's only a suggestion, you don't have to take it.
这只是一个建议,你可以不听。
714. If you really want my advice I don't think you should quit school.
如果你真想听我的意见,我想你不应该退学。
715. Thanks for your advice but I have to consider it myself.
谢谢你的建议,但我得自己想想。
716. He does not pay attention to anybody. You are wasting your time in persuading him.
他谁的话也不听,你劝他是在浪费时间。
717. I am old enough to make up my own mind. 我已经长大了,可以自己拿主意了。
718. Your work seems not satisfactory. 你的工作看起来并不令人满意。
719. What about your opinion? 你怎么想?
720. I generally agree with you. 我大体上同意你的看法。 九、 Asking For Help 请别人帮忙
721. Would you open the door for me, please? 你能替我开门吗?
722. With pleasure. 乐意帮忙。
723. Would you mind opening the window? 你介意开窗吗?
724. Not at all. 一点儿也不。
725. I wondered if you could buy me some pencils? 我不知道你是否能替我买铅笔?
726. Sure. 当然。
727. Would you be so kind as to lend me some money? 你能借我一点儿钱吗?
728. No problem. How much? 没问题,你要多少?
729. I hope I'm not bothering you. 我希望我没有打扰你。
730. I hope that will not cause you too much trouble. 我希望那不会给你添太多麻烦。
731. I really appreciate your help. 我非常感谢你的帮助。
732. I don't want to put you to any trouble. 我不想麻烦你。
733. Excuse me, would you give me a hand? 对不起,你能帮我个忙吗?
734. I'd be glad to help. 我乐意帮忙。
735. Would you mind mailing this letter for me? 你能替我寄这封信吗?

十、 Getting Ready For A Journey 准备旅行
736. I have so many things to do before I leave. 我走之前还有很多事情要做。
737. I have to drop by the bank to get some money. 我得到银行去取一下钱。
738. Traveler's check's are very convenient for long-distance travel.
旅行支票对于长途旅行很方便。
739. Do you have anything to declare? 你有什么东西要向海关申报的吗?
740. You have to apply for a passport in advance. 你必须提前申请护照。
741. You don't have to pay any duty on personal belongings. 个人物品不需要关税。
742. Make it an hour and a half. We have to get more food.
等一个半小时吧,我们还得多准备些事物。
743. Shall we ask Betty to join us? 我们应该叫贝蒂一起去吗?
744. I put myself entirely in your hands. 我按你说的办。
745. Can you tell me the phone number of the inquiry office?
您能告诉我问讯处的电话号码吗?
746. Do you like to take a local train or an express? 你想坐普通车还是特快?
747. I have bought a ticket for a sleeper. 我买了张卧铺票。
748. Have you reserved your ticket? 你订票了吗?
749. I would never have thought of it if you hadn't mentioned it.
如果不是你提起的话,我肯定想不到。
750. I will see you off at the railway station. 我会去机场送你。


第六册

一、 Countries And Nationalities 国家和国籍
751. Where are you from? 你来自哪儿?
752. What's your nationality? 你是什么国籍?
753. What's your motherland? 你祖国是哪儿?
754. Are you a native Chinese? 你是土生土长的中国人吗?
755. What's the population of China? 中国有多少人口?
756. How many provinces do you have? 你们有多少个区?
757. What's the capital of your country? 贵国首都是哪儿?
758. I come from Japan. 我来自日本。
759. I was born in China and brought up in the U.S.A. 我出生在中国,在美国长大。
760. My country has an area of 500,000 square kilometers. 我国面积五十万平里。
761. The capital of my country id Beijing. 我国首都是北京。
762. We have 50 provinces. 我们有50个省。
763. My country is rich in natural resources. 我国自然资源丰富。
764. That nation is famous for its tourism. 那个国家以旅游业闻名。
765. The biggest festival in my country is the Spring Festival. 我国最大的节日是春节。

二、 Geography And Land Features 地理和地貌
766. Geographically, China is located in the Northern Hemisphere.
从地理位置上说,中国位于北半球。
767. In this country, the weather is usually very awful. 在这个国家,天气通常十分恶劣。
768. It is a very beautiful country with many mountains. 这是一个多山的美丽国度。
769. This country is famous for its beautiful lakes. 这个国家以其美丽的湖泊而闻名于世。
770. The land in this region is rather dry and parched. 这片土地十分干燥。
771. Along the northern coast of this continent, there are many crags.
沿该大陆的北海岸线上有许多峭壁。
772. In Brazil, many ancient forests are very well preserves.
在巴西,古老的森林保存十分完好。
773. Lumbering is very important in some underdeveloped countries.
在一些不发达的国家,伐木业十分重要。
774. The scenery is very beautiful in the small islands in the Pacific Oceans.
太平洋上一些小岛的景色十分优美。
775. What kind of climate do you have in this country? 这个国家的气候如何?
776. In the west of America, there are many high peeks and deep canyons.
在美国西部有许多高峰和深谷。
777. Which one is the longest river in China? 中国哪条河流最长?
778. Do you get much rain in summer? 这里夏天雨水多吗?
779. Is the plain along the river good for farming? 河畔的平原易于发展农业吗?
780. It's cold and foggy in London at this time of the year.
在每年的这个时候,伦敦寒冷而多雾。
`
三、 School And Education 学校和教育
781. Every one must receive 9 years of compulsory education.
每人必须接受九年的义务教育。
782. Children enter primary school at the age of 7. 孩子们7岁进小学。
783. Some students quit school due to poverty. 一些学生因贫困而辍学。
784. There is fierce competition in the college Entrance Examination. 高考竞争激烈。
785. He majored in Computers. 他主修计算机。
786. She is working for her double major in English and Economics.
她正在修英语和经济双学位。
787. I graduated from Yale University 5 years ago. 五年前,我从耶鲁大学毕业。
788. It is desirable to apply to good schools. 申请好学校是令人向往的。
789. Mary is in her freshman year. 玛丽大学一年级。
790. Lily is a Sophomore now. 莉莉现在大学二年级。
791. Mike is already a junior. 迈克已经大学三年级了。
792. As a senior, Peter is writing his thesis. 作为大学四年级学生,彼得正在写毕业论文。
793. Mr. Green is a member of the faculty. 格林先生是大学教员。
794. In Britain, there are open universities. 在英国,有成人大学。
795. There are many training classed and night classes. 有许多培训班与夜校。

四、 About Jobs 关于工作
796. What does your father do? 你父亲做什么工作?
797. He is a doctor. He has his own practice. 他是个医生,他自己开业。
798. Do you have any plan for your career? 你对未来有什么计划吗?
799. I want to be a pilot of possible. 如果可能的话,我想做个飞行员。
800. I hope that I can get a decent job with a good salary.
我希望有一份既体面,收入又高的工作。
801. I have an interview next week. 我下周要参加考试。
802. Tom has opened his own business while his classmates are still slogging away at school. 当汤姆的同学还在学校苦读时,他已经开始了自己的事业。
803. I like writing, but I wouldn't take it as my career. 我喜欢协作但不愿以此为职业。
804. I worked as an intern in that firm last summer. 去年夏天我在那家商行实习。
805. He's a very efficient young man though a little proud.
他是个很有能力的人,但是有点骄傲。
806. He made a successful career in business. 他的商务生涯十分成功。
807. My cousin has just been promoted to the rank of major. 我表兄刚被提升为上校。
808. He is a manager of a famous corporation. 他是一家著名公司的经理。
809. The statesman retired as the mayor of New York. 那位政治家退休时是纽约市市长。
810. He was appointed president of the committee recently.
他最近被任命为那个革命会的总裁。

五、 Farms And Factories 农场和工厂
811. This area is noted for its rich soil. 这个地区以土壤肥沃著称。
812. The place is too stony for farming. 这地方太多石块,不适合耕种。
813. In the flat country, people grow wheat and raise cattle.
在这平坦的乡间,人们种指小麦,饲养牲畜。
814. He has bought 10 tractors for the village. 他为村里买了10台拖拉机。
815. What's the typical farm product in this region? 这个地区典型的农产品是什么?
816. At this time of the year farmers begin to plow their fields.
每年这个时候,农民们开始犁地。
817. Have you milked the cows? 你已经挤过奶了吗?
818. Pile the hay in the corner. 把干草堆到边上。
819. What's the average yearly output of cars in your factory?
你们厂平均年产汽车多少台?
820. The meat packing industry is developing fast. 肉类加工业发展迅速。
821. Car manufacturers are having a bad time. 汽车制造商的日子不好过。
822. State-owned enterprises are getting out of difficulty. 国有企业开始走上坡路。
823. How many workshops are there in your factory? 你们厂有多少车间?
824. The computer industry is booming. 计算机业繁荣起来。
825. The information industry helps boost the global economy.
信息业推进全球经济发展。

六、 About Hobbies 关于爱好
826. Do you have any hobbies? 你有什么爱好吗?
827. What are you interested in? 你对什么比较感兴趣?
828. What are your interests? 你的爱好是什么?
829. What do you do in your spare time? 空闲时间你干什么?
830. How do you spend your evenings? 夜生活你都是怎么过的?
831. Lots of people like stamp collecting. 许多人喜欢集邮。
832. I am a Michael Jordan fan. 我是迈克尔·乔丹迷。
833. Does his film appeal to you? 你喜欢他的电影吗?
834. Do you go on picnics? 你常去郊游吗?
835. I particularly like English literature. 我对英国文学情有独钟。
836. What's so interesting about football? We girls don't like it.
足球有什么意思?我们女生不喜欢它。
837. She has a particular interest in painting. 她特别爱好绘画。
838. I often take my mind off my work by reading an interesting novel.
通常我通过阅读小说使我的注意力从工作上转移过来。
839. He plays violin just for enjoyment. 他拉小提琴只是为了自娱自乐。
840. Photography is an expensive hobby. 摄影是门花费很多的爱好。

七、 Recreational Activities 文体活动
841. What's your favorite sport? 你最喜欢什么活动?
842. I like football. 我最喜欢足球。
843. What position do you play? 你踢什么位置?
844. I'm a catcher. 我是个接球员(垒球运动中)。
845. Our team beat their team yesterday. 昨天,我们队打败了他们队。
846. We are sure to defeat them. 我们一定会打败他们。
847. How many years have you been playing pingpong? 你打乒乓球多少年了?
848. My favorite winter sport is skiing. 我最喜欢的动机运动是滑雪。
849. The basketball championship is exciting. 那次篮球冠军赛真激动人心。
850. I was on the track team 10 years ago. 十年前,我在田径队。
851. I prefer fishing to swimming. 比起游泳,我更喜欢钓鱼。
852. She is a member of the ski club. 她是滑雪俱乐部的成员。
853. The hardest thing to learn is to be a good loser. 最难学的一点是做一个输的起的人。
854. My class went camping last summer. 去年夏天我们班去露营了。
855. He's good at lifting weights. 他善于举重。

八、 About Newspapers And Magazines 关于报纸杂志
856. I subscribed to a lot of periodicals last year. 去年我订了许多期刊。
857. Tom reads newspapers in the afternoon. 汤姆下午读报。
858. What kind of newspapers do you read? 你读什么样的报纸?
859. Newspapers and periodicals keep me updated on current affairs.
报纸和期刊让我了解时事。
860. What column do you like best? 你最喜欢哪个栏目?
861. Which do you like better, the news or the editorial? 新闻和评论你最喜欢看哪个?
862. Do you read advertisements too? 你也看广告吗?
863. I recommend to you Time and Newsweek. They are excellent.
我向你推荐《时代》和《新闻周刊》,它们很棒。
864. Fashion is a very popular magazine in America. 《时尚》是美国很流行的杂志。
865. What's the circulation of this magazine? 这杂志发行量怎么样?
866. Why don't you put an advertisement in the paper to sell that old car?
为什么不在报上登广告卖旧车呢?
867. I once took a part-time job delivering the Evening Post. 我曾干过送晚报的兼职。
868. Have you read the article about the rescue of the hostage?
你看了关于营救人质的文章了吗?
869. There was much news in the morning paper today. 今天的晨报上有许多新闻。
870. My friend Tom is a reporter for the New York Times. 我朋友汤姆是《纽约时报》的记者。

九、 Radio And TV 收音机和电视机
871. What channel are you watching now? 现在你在看哪个新闻?
872. There's TV coverage of the NBA tournament. 有个NBA联赛的电视报道。
873. Do you have a TV guide? 你有电视节目吗?
874. You'll be on air in two minutes. 两分钟以后你会上电视。
875. Channel 5 is off the air now. 五频道已经停止播放。
876. Turn up your radio please. 请你把收音机开响一点儿。
877. We can't get good pictures on our TV set. 我们的电视机图象有问题。
878. Can this radio receive short-wave? 这个收音机能收短波吗?
879. If you install an outside antenna, you will have better reception.
如果你安装了室外天线,你的电视接受效果会好点。
880. Turn down the radio please. 请放低音量。
881. We'll have a soap opera series on TV this week.
这周末我们会在电视上看到一系列肥皂剧。
882. Please tune in next time. 请下次收听。
883. We're broadcasting from London. 我们从伦敦播放。
884. You can receive our program at short wave 37.5 MH.
你可在短波37.5赫兹上收到我们的节目。
885. There's too much static. 干扰太大。

十、 About Music And Literature 关于音乐和文学
886. What's your favorite music? 你最喜欢什么音乐?
887. Do you often go to a concert? 你经常去听音乐会吗?
888. I hate Jazz. It's too noisy. 我讨厌爵士,太吵了。
889. Do you like pop music? 你喜欢流行音乐吗?
890. I have never heard the piece before, who wrote it? 我从没听过这首曲子,谁写的?
891. What do you think of their skill? 你觉得他们演奏技术如何?
892. I find classical concerts more to my liking than rock concerts.
我觉得古典音乐会比摇滚音乐会更合我胃口。
893. I've never read a more stirring story. 我从来没读过比这更令人激动的故事。
894. He has a passion for literature. 他很热衷于文学。
895. I am most attracted by Dickens. 狄更斯的作品更吸引我。
896. I never grow tired of novels though I read them everyday.
我每天看小说,但从没厌烦过。
897. On Sundays I often spend some time reading in the library.
星期天我经常在图书馆里看些书。
898. What do think about this poem? 你觉得这首诗怎么样?
899. I like Shakespeare better than Milton. 与弥尔顿比起来,我更喜欢莎士比亚。
900. How much do you know about the works of George Eliot?
乔治·艾略特的作品你知道多少?

--------------

汉译英难点解析
第一篇 形形色色的人
1. 一根筋儿  one track-minded.
别跟他较劲了。他一根筋,你还不知道?
Stop reasoning with him. Don’t you know he is one track-minded?
2.出众的人 a lulu
要说漂亮,我们公司新来的秘书可算是个相貌出众的女孩子了。
Talking about being pretty, our company’s new secretary is indeed a lulu.
3.两面派 two-faced
我知道怎样对付两面派,而且一眼就能看出谁是一贯两面讨好的人。I know how to handle two-faced people and can even tell at the first glance who are in the habit of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds.(注:run with the hare and hunt with the hounds指人两面讨好,不得罪任何一方的做法。)
4.傻大个儿 a lummox
听说那个傻大个儿把他们公司的买卖搞得一团糟。
It is said that the lummox has loused up their company’s whole business.
5.收破烂儿的人 a rag man
那些收破烂儿的人走街串户,有时也能挣不少钱。
Those rag men going from door to door sometimes may also earn quite a handsome sum of money.
6.乡巴佬 a hayseed
她说她决不会嫁给一个乡巴佬,不管他多有钱。
She insisted that she would not marry herself off to a hayseed, no matter how rich he was.
7.不三不四的人riff-raffs
老张的家里总来些不三不四的人,可想而知老张不是什么好东西。
There are always riff-raffs hanging around in LaoZhang’s home, which gives you the feeling that Lao Zhang is not a good guy.
8.受气包儿 doormat
她天生就是个受气包儿,什么事都不敢说个不字
She’s born doormat ,afraid of going against anything.
9.面无表情的人 a deadpan
和那些面无表情的人在一起工作真让人憋气。
You feel choked to work with those deadpans.
10.扫帚星 a jinx
有人说那个女人是个扫帚星,谁跟她结婚谁倒霉。
She’s said to be a jinx, who would bring bad luck to whoever she marries.   第二篇 能力与智慧
1. 海量 have a hollow leg
你像灌醉他?他可是海量,从来没有醉过。
Want to drink him under the table? Well…you can never do. He got a hollow leg, you know.
2.略胜一筹 be a notch above
论油画,张先生比刘先生画得好。但是,谈到水彩画,刘先生可就比张先生略胜一筹了。
In oil painting, Mr.Zhang paints better than Mr.Li.But when it comes to water colors,Mr.Liu appears to be a notch above Mr.Zhang.
3.有头脑 be a brain
他可是个有头脑德人,决不会相信你的那一套。
He’s a brain, who wouldn’t be fooled into believing your babbling.
4.很能干 to have a lot on the ball
我知道李明很能干,但我怀疑他是否真的愿意到我们这儿来工作。
I know Li Ming has a lot on the ball. But I’m not sure if he likes to work here.
5.有名无实 a poor apology
你刚才提到的那个作家不过是个有名无实的人。他的作品太没意思了。
The man you’ve just mentioned is but a poor apology for a writer. His writings are tedious.
6.绞尽脑汁 to rack one’s brain
他已经绞尽脑汁了,可是仍未找到问题的答案。
He had racked his brain, but hadn’t been able to work out the answer to the problem.
7.没骨气 have no guts.
真没想到小高那么没骨气,竟然嫁给了坑害过她父亲的人。
I’m surprised to learn that XiaoGao had married the man who had once done her father in. She rally has no guts.
8.真了不起really something
他真了不起,竟然一个人对付了那么多的对手。
He overwhelmed so many of his opponents alone. He’s really something.
9.昙花一现 a flash in the pan
那个歌星也只是昙花一现,出了几张唱片就销声匿迹了。
That singer was only a flash in the pan. He disappeared into the air after having made one or two records.
10.寡不敌众 be outnumbered
她很勇敢,但终因寡不敌众,被那帮人打晕过去
The girl was brave enough, but as being outnumbered, she was finally knocked into the middle of next week by the gang.
11.单枪匹马 play a lone hand
在投资时,他总喜欢单枪匹马的去干
When investing in a business, he always likes to play a lone hand.
12.出师不利 get off one the wrong foot
他的主意不错,可一开始就出师不利。
His idea was good, but he got off on the wrong foot when he started doing it.
13.口才  the gift of gab
我几乎没见过像莉莉这样有口才的女孩子。
Seldom have I met a girl who’s had such a gift of gab like Lee Lee’s.
14.还嫩点儿  still wet behind the ears
想陷害我?你还嫩点儿
Attempt to do me in? You are still wet behind the ears.
(be wet behind the ears 的字面意思是“像刚生下来的婴儿一样,耳朵后的根毛还是湿的那)
15.糊涂虫  a nitwit
 你真是个糊涂虫,怎么能当他的面讲他女朋友的坏话那?
You’re a real nitwit. Why should you badmouth his girlfriend in his face?
16.饭量小 eat like a bird
她的饭量特别小,有一小块面包就足够了。
She eats like a bird. A small piece of bread will be enough for her.
17.痛失良机 Let something slip through one’s fingers
你真蠢!这样一个发大财的机会千载难逢,你怎能眼睁睁的让他跑掉那?
You can’t be more stupid! How could you let such a golden opportunity to make big money slip through your fingers? It was an opportunity that comes once in a blue moon.
18.抓住机会 jump at the chance
这样的好机会,你应该抓住
You should have jump at such a good chance.
19.嘴硬 never say uncle
那个孩子的嘴特别硬,打死他都不肯认错
That boy never says uncle. He wouldn’t admit he’s wrong for the life of him.
20.有门道 have the means of
在挣钱方面,张先生可有门道了
Mr.Zhang has always had the means of making money.
21.找到窍门get the hang of
我已经找到学习英语动词的窍门了。
I’ve now got the hang of learning English verbs.
22.占上风 gain the upper hand
比赛一开始,我们队占上风。可到最后却失利了
At the beginning of the game our team gained the upper hand. But by and by, we lost our strength.
23.有资格 be in a position.
你没有资格对他那样讲话,他是那儿的老板
You’re not in a position to talk to him like that; He’s the boss there.
24.恭维话  blarney
只有傻瓜才会相信你的花言巧语。
Only a fool will believe your blarney.
25.上圈套 rise to a bait
赵先生又上了那帮人的圈套了
Mr.Zhao again rose to the bait set by the guys.
26.头脑有点不正常 have a few buttons missing
能说那种话的人头脑肯定有点不正常。
Anyone who says that must have a few buttons missing.
27.见机行事 play to the score
到那儿,你要见机行事,千万不要由性子来。
When you are there with them, play to the score. Never act on impulse.
28唆使 put somebody up to
肯定有人唆使他去干那件事
There must be someone who had put him up to that.
29.心有余而力不足  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is week.
不是他不愿意帮你,而是他心有余而力不足
30.轰动全世界set the world on fire
 他吹嘘果找到这个问题的答案,其成果就会轰动全世界
He boasted that if he could find the solution to the problem, the result of it would set the world on fire.
31.盲从 follow like sheep
她们根本不知道什么是时尚,只不过是在盲从而已
They actually know nothing about what fashion is. They’re only following others like sheep.
32.听其自然 let things slide
事到如今,我们也只好听其自然了
With things as such, we’ll have to let things slide. 第三篇 脾气和性格
1. 偷懒耍滑头 goof-off
小王总是偷懒耍滑头。上班时不是去打电话就是跑到医务室去看病。
XiaoWang’s always goofing-off----either making phone calls or going to the clinic to see doctors during office hours.
2.大动肝火  be up in arms
由于公司最近几个月销售业绩不佳,老板正在大动肝火
The boss is up in arms about the company’s poor sales record in the past few months.
3.保持冷静keep cool
即使在十分气愤的情况下她也能保持冷静
She can keep cool even under heavy pressure of anger.
4.说话兜圈子 beat about the bush
5.心怀叵测 have an ax to grind
她总是心怀叵测,对她说的话你得多留神 。
She always has an ax to grind. You should take whatever she says with a pinch of salt.
6.心数不正 not have one’s heart in the right place
他的心数不正,动不动就在别人的背后捅刀子。
He doesn’t have his heart in the right place. He would find every opportunity to stab in the back of others.
7.背后捅刀子 stab in the back
我万万没想到张某会在背后捅我一刀。我过去太信任她了。
I was taken aback and didn’t think Zhang would stab me in the back. I placed too much trust in her.
8.说某人的坏话 badmouth somebody
我从来没说过任何人的坏话。
I’ve never badmouthed anyone.
9.傻笑 grin like a Cheshire cat
她真是个傻帽,时常无缘无故的就傻笑起来。
She’s a real nitwit. She would now and then burst out grinning like a Cheshire car for no reason at all.(Cheshire是英国的郡名:柴郡。据说此地有一种猫,常常会无缘无故地咧开嘴对主人笑。后来人们便以此来形容傻笑地的人
10.厚着脸皮去干 have the gall to do
你怎么能厚着脸皮去抱怨说别人不勤快?
How can you have the gall to complaint about other people’s being lazy?
11.大献殷勤dance attendance
小李在老板面前可会献殷勤了。
Xiao li is so good at dancing attendance on her boss.
12.血口喷人 smite with the tongue
千万别得罪她,她经常血口喷人。
Take care not to offend her. She always smites with the tongue.
13.假惺惺的说speak with one’s tongue in one’s cheek
我特别讨厌她。她说话总是假惺惺地。
I feel sick of her. She always speaks with her tongue in her cheek.
14.这山望着那山高  The grass is always greener on the other hill.
人都是这山望着那山高,对自己的状况没有满意的时候。
Almost all people see that the grass is greener on the other hill. They never feel satisfied with what they’ve already got.
15.上瘾get into one’s blood
说来也怪,很多不好的事往往会使人上瘾。
It’s astoundingly funny that many harmful things usually get into our blood.
16.特别爱生气 be quick to take offense
17.发牢骚 beef
他坐在那里什么事也不干,总是发牢骚,真烦死人。
I’m really bored stiff with his sitting there doing nothing but beefing.
18.等不及了 champ at the bit
咱们快点吧,孩子们都等不及了。
Let’s shake the leg. The kids are champing at the bit.
19.点头哈腰bow and scrape
从她在老板前点头哈腰地那个模样,你就知道她是个什么人了。
From the way she’s bowing and scraping in front of the boss, you’ll know what sort of person she is.
20.疯疯癫癫go gaga
对他的话不要太在意了,他总是疯疯癫癫的。
Don’t take what he says so seriously. He’s always going gaga.
21.说话不算数go back on one’s words
他那个人说话从不算数,我们可不能依靠他。
We cannot account on him. He always goes back on his words.
22.废话连篇beat one’s gums
谁喜欢坐在那里听你的废话连篇?
Who would enjoy sitting there listening to your beating your gums?
23.恩将仇报 bite the hand that feeds one
 你难道不知道她是个恩将仇报的人?
 Don’t you know she’s the one that would bite the hand that feeds her?
24.不忍心not have the heart to do
如果我是你,我可不忍心把孩子们就在家里没人照看
If I were you, I wouldn’t have the heart tot leave the kids at home uncared for.
25.勤快an eager beaver
他特别勤快,从来没有闲着的时候。
He’s an eager beaver, never staying idle.
26.太不象话了The idea of somebody’s doing
你太不象话了,竟然骂自己的母亲
The idea of your calling your mum damned!
27.懒透了be bone-idle
她懒透的了,连自己的袜子都不洗。
She’s bone-idle. She’s even tired of washing her own socks.
28.好客 keep open house
我们的邻居特别好客
Our neighbor keeps open house.
29.待客周到keep a good house.
She keeps a good house and always makes her guests feel content and satisfied.
30.正直be on the up and up
她是个正直的姑娘,因此我相信她不会干出那种事。
She’s always been on the up and up and I don’t think she would have done such a thing.
31.偷鸡摸狗be on the sly
我们这儿的人都知道他是个爱偷鸡摸狗的人
Everyone around here knows that he’s a man on the sly.
32. 与……不合be at odds with
不要把他们两个分在一个组里,他俩不合
Don’t put them in the same group. The two of them are at odds with each other.
33.巴结buddy up
她可会巴结当官的了。
She’s so good at budding up to shoes in authorities
34.装傻 play possum
我知道你当时只不过是装傻而已
I know you were only playing possum.
35.省吃俭用 pinch and scrape
她一向省吃俭用,从未浪费过一分钱
She’s always been pinching and scraping without ever wasting a single cent.
36. 花言巧语do a snow job
他花言巧语的哄骗那个女孩,说自己是某个部长的儿子。
He did a snow job on the girl by saying that he is the son of a minister .
37. 哪壶不开提哪壶  touch the tender spot
你真是哪壶不开提哪壶。她就怕别人提起第三者插足的话题
You were plain touching the tender spot. She was most sensitive to the topic of “ the third person”, who cut in between a couple.
38.脚踩两条船 serve two masters
我可不想脚踩两条船,也不乐意两面讨好。
I don’t want to serve two masers at the same time nor do I like to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds.
39.吃醋 be jealous
40.不当一回事 as soon do …as look at …
他根本就不把得罪人当回事
He would just as soon offend other people as look at them.
41.说到做到 be the equal of one’s words
他说到做到,从不食言
He’s the equal of his words, never going back on them.
42.不依不饶 take off the gloves to
你不必对他如此的不依不饶
 You don’t need to take off your gloves to him like that.
43.贪吃 gluttonous
我从来没有见过像他那样贪吃的人
I’ve never met a man as gluttonous as him.
44.很乖 as good as gold
他的小女儿很乖,从不像别的孩子那样不听话。
His little daughter is as good as gold. She’s never been as rebellious as other children.
45.十分嫉妒 be green with envy
王先生的成功使得周围很多人都嫉妒
Mr. Wang’s success has made many people around him green with envy.
46.满口脏话 swear like a trooper
那个家伙的嘴特别脏,整天满口脏话骂骂咧咧的。
That guy has a foul mouth. He always swears like a trooper.
47.神经过敏thin-skinned
我看这些人都有点神经过敏
In my eyes they’re all sort of thin-skinned.
48.性子过急be too quick on the trigger
要不是因为你的性子过急,你也不至于失去那笔买卖
If you were not too quick on the trigger you wouldn’t have lost the deal.
49.撒娇 play the woman
她可会在男人面前撒娇了。
She ‘s so good at playing the woman before men.
50.占人便宜 load the dice against
你最好别和她打交道,她总爱占别人的便宜
You’d better not to get involved with her. she always loads the dice against others.
51.为自己捞油水 be on the take
近几年来,很多官员都在为自己捞油水。有谁会把国家的利益当回事哪?
In recent years many officials are readily on the take .Who would give much heed to the interest of the country? 第四篇 情感和态度
1. 犹豫不定be of two minds
我打算买辆汽车,可心里一直犹豫不定,不知道买那个牌子的好。
I’m thinking of buying a car, but I’m still of two minds .I can hardly decide as to which brand I should take.
2.心事重重  some thing weighs heavily on one’s mind
老板这几天沉默寡言,看起来好像是心事重重的
The boss is quite down these days. He seems to have something weighing heavily on his mind.
3.埋头苦干 keep one’s nose to the grindstone
这年头,只会埋头苦干的人是挣不了大钱的
These years those who’re keeping their nose to the grindstone can’t make bundles.
4.心凉了半截 cool one’s ardor
莉莉深深爱上了公司的老板并打算嫁给他,但是当她听说他玩弄过几个女孩子之后,她的心都凉了半截。
Lily was head over heels in love with their company’s boss and was thinking of marrying him, but the news that he had taken several girls for a ride cooled her ardor.
5.使人大为激动make one’s spine tingle
小李答应与他结婚使他大为激动
XiaoLi’s promise to marry him made his spine tingle.
6.怀恨在心 bear somebody a grudge
千万别得罪他,他会对你怀恨在心的
Take care not to offend him, or he’ll bear you a grudge.
7.感到四肢无力 feel wobbly and rough.
8.受冷落feel left out
在这样的场合上,谁愿意受到冷落那?
Who would like to feel left out at such a function?
9.不容易 no cinch.
我是挣了钱,但这钱挣得太不容易了
I know I’ve made some money, but it was no cinch to get it.
10.为难 be in a pickle
我真的很为难,我本应该给他买件皮衣,可我没有那么多的钱
I’m really in a pickle. I’m supposed to buy him a fur coat, but I don’t have enough money for such an item.(pickle作“困境”解)
11.苦苦哀求 press one’s suit
她苦苦哀求丈夫再给她一次机会
She pressed her suit and asked her husband to give her another chance.
(苦苦哀求:press one’s suit. suit 指“乞求或恳求”)
12. 闲得无聊twiddle one’s thumbs
这些娘们儿都闲得无聊,不是坐在那里说长道短,就是三五成群的谈论别人家的“丑闻”
These “old girls”network are twiddling their thumbs , sitting there either gossiping or forming into groups talking about other families’ “skeletons”
13.推卸责任 pass the buck
当老板问起是谁把消息说出去的时候,他们两个人相互推卸责任。
When the boss was asking who had disclosed the news ,the two of them began to pass the buck to each other.
14.承担后果 face the music
这件事是他们三个人一起干的,可是现在谁也不愿意承担后果
It was done by the three of them. But none of them want to face the music now.
15.真烦人a pill
她真烦人,整天唠唠叨叨的
She’s really a pill, spending whole day harping and complaining.
16.饶不了某人not put anything past somebody
如果他胆敢给我使坏,我就饶不了他。
If he dare hit me below the belt, I won’t put anything past him.
17.一门心思have one’s heart set on
他的女儿一门心思想嫁给一个日本人
His daughter has had her heart set on marrying a Japanese man.
18.心烦意乱 nerves on edge
这几天不知是什么事把我搞得心烦意乱的
I don’t know what has set my nerves on edge these days.
19.那可不行nothing doing
又要用我的车?那可不行!
Want to use my car again? Nothing doing.
20.容易极了Nothing to it
你能说服我爸爸么?      Can you convince my father?
说服你爸爸?那太容易了  Convince your dad? Nothing to it!
21.到了极点one for the books
他的表演简直棒极了
His performance was really one for the books.
22.觉得可疑了smell a rat
当他们同意把那批货以那样的价格卖给你的时候,你难道没有感到有些可疑么?
Didn’t you smell a rat when they agreed to sell you the goods at such a price?
23.敬而远之give a wide berth to
对他那号人,你还是敬而远之为好
You’d better give a wide berth to a guy of his sort.
24.稍微……就行了give ……a once-over
车子不很脏,稍微擦擦就行了
The car’s not very dirty, a once-over will do.
25.无聊 be for the birds
他特别无聊,不是讲下流笑话,就是谈论别人的婚姻。
He’ s plain for the birds. He would either crack a blue joke or talk about other people’s marriages.
26.合口味to one’s taste
这种音乐很符合他的口味
This sort of music is quite to his taste.
27.心里特别难受 be sick at heart
看到她受到那般伤害我心里特别难受
I felt sick at heart when I saw how much she was hurt.
28.别往心里去not take …to heart
不要往心里去,她不是有意要伤害你的
Don’t take it too much to heart. She didn’t mean to hurt you.
29.死也不同意 over one’s dead body
她说她死也不会跟你结婚的
She said that she would marry you over her dead body.
30.头痛得快炸了a splitting headache
我的头痛得快炸了
I have a splitting headache.
31.受到良心的谴责get one’s conscience smitten
如果你抛弃你的妻子和孩子,你迟早会受到良心的谴责的
You’ll get your conscience smitten sooner or later if you have the heart to abandon your wife and children.
32.忐忑不安 have (a case of )the jitters
自从那家人搬到我们这儿,我们就感到忐忑不安
33.垂头丧气 sing the blues
 我不知道为什么这几天她总是垂头丧气的
I don’t know why she’s singing the blues these days.
34. 吓得直打哆嗦tremble like a leaf
听到那个消息,他吓得直打哆嗦
He was trembling like a leaf at the news.
35.不再登某人家的门not darken the door of
你放心把,我今后决不会再登你家的门了
You can be assured that I will never darken your door again.
36.美颠颠的walk on air
当他听说那个女孩子喜欢他时,他乐得美颠颠得
37.疼得难忍be killing
我的牙疼得够戗,我真受不了了。
My tooth is killing me. I can’t stand it.
38.热情得让人受不了 kill someone with kingness
她那热情简直让人受不了
She’d kill people with kindness.
39.乐意take kindly to
看来她不乐意接受我们的建议
She didn’t seem to take kindly to our suggestions.
40.顶牛be at loggerheads
他们俩经常为某些事顶牛儿。
The two of them are always at loggerheads.
(此语源于中世纪得“泼柏油战法”。据说loggerhead是中世纪人们用来熔解柏油的用具。在海战中,敌对的两只船相互用loggerhead泼柏油)
41.无论怎么样也不 not do …for love or money
无论怎么样我也不能和她那号人合作
I wouldn’t do things together with her sort for love or money.
42.感到心里不好受 get a lump in one’s throat
我一看悲剧电影就不好受
I get a lump in my throat whenever I see a tragic movie.
43.感到不舒服feel under the weather
别去打扰她。她这几天感到身体有点不舒服
Don’t disturb her. She’s feeling under the weather these days.
44.放下不管leave someone in the lurch
你怎么能忍心放下两个孩子不管自己去旅游那?
How could you have the heart to leave the kids in the lurch and went out traveling yourself?
45.临走时说的一句气话 a parting shot
他说了一句气话就冲出了屋子。
With a parting shot he stormed out of the house.
(一个人和别人发生争吵后,常会在临走时说一句发泄愤怒的话,叫a parting shot)
46让过去的事过去吧let bygones be bygones
别再提它了,让过去的事过去吧
Don’t mention it. Let bygones be bygones.
47.烦透了be sick and tired of …
她没完没了的抱怨真把我给烦透了
I got sick and tired of her endless complaints.
48.欣然的with a good grace
他欣然的接受了这项工作
He accepted the job with a good grace.
49.你……好不好?I’ll thank you to …
闭上你的臭嘴好不好?
I’ll thank you to shut up your foul mouth?
50.忙得脱不开身be tied up with
我们经理忙得脱不开身 ,您还是明天再来吧。
Our manager’s tied up now. Will you come tomorrow?
51.不要求特殊照顾ask no odds
即使在特别困难得情况下,他也从未要求过特殊照顾。
52.感情不好be on the outs
自从她从美国会来以后,她和丈夫的关系就一直不好。
She’s been on the outs with her husband since she came back from the US.
53.满不在乎 like water off a duck’s back
老板在会上严厉的批评了他,可他却满不在乎
The boss criticized him at the meeting, but it was just like water off a duck’s back.
54.站在某人一边side with someone
但我和爸爸发生争执时,姐姐总是站在爸爸那一边。
My sister always sides with my father against me in my argument with him.
55.不要声张be hush-hush
这件事可不要声张,千万别向任何人吐露一个字。
 This business is hush-hush. Never breathe a word to anyone about it.
56.置若罔闻turn a deaf ear to
他对老板的话置若罔闻,根本不把它当回事
He turns a deaf ear to what the boss says, never taking it seriously.
第五篇 工作,机会和运气1. 前途远大 have the world before one
你们的前途都很远大,但仍需努力工作
You all have the world before you .But you’ll still need to work hard.
2.好险 a narrow squeak
昨晚好险哪。老板同一个女职员在办公室里动手动脚的,差点让他的妻子给撞上了。
The boss had a narrow squeak last night in his office: his spooning with a girl clerk was almost found our by his wife.
3.手气好 have the Midas touch
王先生的手气特别好,干什么都挣钱。
Mr. Wang has the Midas touch: everything he does turns to gold.
(此语源自希腊神话。据说神给一个叫Midas的人一种特殊的力量,任何东西只要被他的手一碰就会变成黄金.后来,Midas touch便用来喻指“有发财的运气或技能”了)
4.走运be on the gravy train
这几年他一直很走运
He’s been on the gravy train these years.
5让人给骗了be ripped off
我又被那个家伙给骗了
I was ripped off again by that guy.
6.不入虎穴焉得虎子 Nothing venture ,nothing have.
7.白费力气plough the air.
你再劝他也只是白费力气
Any attempt tot let him change will only be ploughing the air.
8.命好lead a charmed life
他的命真好。爸爸是政府高级官员,妈妈是公司的总经理,自己通过了托福考试并获得美国一所大学的奖学金。
His father is a senior government official, his mother is the general manager of a large company and he himself had passed the TOFEL test and got a scholarship from an American university. He must have been leading a charmful life!
9.倒霉get in the neck
在家里,如果孩子们打架被父母发现了,倒霉的总是年龄大的孩子。
In the family, if the kicks-up are found out by the parents , it’s always the oldest of the children who’ll get in the neck.
10.背黑锅hold the bag
在任何的情况下,我从没有让任何人为我背黑锅
Under no circumstances have I made anyone hold the bag for me.
11. 有利可图的事an angle
无利可图的事,那家伙是从来不会干的
That guy never does anything unless there’s an angle in it.
12.吃苦头burn one’s fingers
以前,我为了帮那个家伙吃了一些苦头
I burned my fingers in helping that guy before.
13.被开除be sacked
他因为玩忽职守被开除了
He got sacked for falling asleep at the switch.
14.因祸得福a blessing in disguise
他遭遇车祸反而因祸得福了:住院时和一个漂亮的护士相爱了
He had an accident and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise: a pretty nurse fell in lover with him during his stay in the hospital.
15.一举成名be vaulted to fame
老张就是个一夜成功,一举成名的典型例证
Lao Zhang was vaulted to fame, a classic example of overnight success.
16.千载难逢 once in a blue moon
这可是个千载难逢的好机会阿
This is a chance once in a blue moon.
17.十拿九稳it’s dollar to buttons
他肯定能通过这次的考试,这是十拿九稳的了
I bet he will pass the exam. Its dollars to buttons.
18.没门!No way!
19.好日子不多了one’s days are numbered
他意识到自己好日子没几天了,不禁感到一阵凄凉和恐慌。
He felt a rush of chilled feeling of anxiety when he realized that his days were numbered.
20.有点玄乎 a bit iffy
依我看,他们的成功有点玄乎
As far as I can see, their success is a bit iffy.
21.走上坡路be on the up grade
走上坡路比走下坡路要难得多
It’s much more difficult to be on the up grade than on the down grade.
22.受某人恩宠be in somebody’s grace
他们家的孩子都很受人恩宠
Every child in his family is in good graces of other people.
23.开门红get off to a flying start
我们公司一成立就来了个开门红:在开业后的第一周就得到了三笔大宗订单
Our company got off to a flying start when it opened to business: we got three big orders during the first week of opening.
24.跟白给的一样便宜 be a steal/be for a song
这部车他只花了300美元,跟白拣的一样。
He spent only 300 dollars in the car, which was simply a steal.
25.坐失良机miss the boat
他说他为错过那样好的机会而感到非常遗憾
He said that he was very much regretted about having missed the boat.
26.一帆风顺pan out
你不能期望事情总是一帆风顺的呀!
You can’t always expect things to pan out each time, can you?
27.碰钉子get the cheese
他没想到在那个公司会碰钉子
He didn’t expect to get the cheese in that company.
28.在火葬场工作work as a funeral furnisher
老李已经在火葬场工作了二十多年了
Lao Li’s been working as a funeral furnisher for more than 20 years.
29.吊儿郎当play around
我可不喜欢让我的孩子整天吊儿郎当的,一点正经事都不干。
I don’t want my children to play around all day and do nothing useful.
30.棘手的问题a ticklish question
面对那些棘手的问题他也显得束手无策了。
He seemed to be at his wits end before those ticklish questions.
31.难办的事sticky business
他发现这件事特别难办,同意不好,不同意也不好
He found it a sticky business: he could neither agree nor disagree.
32.稳扎稳打play for safety
在这种情况下,我们应该稳扎稳打,切勿操之过急
Under such circumstances we should play for safety against making haste.
33.干苦差事hold the baby
为什么把这个苦差事留给我一个人干?
Why should I be left holding the baby alone?
34.饭碗儿one’s bread and butter
我不能放弃教书,那是我的饭碗
I can’t give up teaching, for it’s my bread and butter.
35.忙得不可开交 have one’s hands full
王燕白天上班,下班后还要照顾家里,简直是忙得不可开交。
Wang Yan has her hands full with working full time during the day and taking care of the family the rest of the time.
36.没那回事 nothing of the sort!
别听他们胡说八道,根本就没那回事。
Don’t be fooled by their babbling. Nothing of the sort! 第六篇 赞同与反对1. 大吵大闹 yell bloody murder
如果我的妻子知道我为他们花了多少钱,她一定会大吵大闹的。
My wife will certainly yell boldly murder when she learns how much I have spent for them.
2. 很像 the spitting image of
小李真象他的爸爸,在老婆面前象条虫似的。
Xiao Li is plain the spitting image of his father, who behaves just like a lamb in front of his wife.
3. 绝交信Dear John
贝克收到他女朋友的绝交信的那天简直都气疯了。
Beck went plain crazy with anger on the day when he received his Dear John from his exgirlfriend.
4.不能轻信take something with a grain of salt
他说的话你可不能全信,他是个说谎不带脸红的人。
You must always take what he says with a grain of salt. He’s a born liar.
5. 告发,检举 blow the whistle
据说检举这件事的政府官员也被调职了。
It’s said that those government officials who had blown the whistle also got transferred.
6. 指控 charge somebody with
他被指控犯有强奸罪而被逮捕了
He was charged with raping and got arrested.
7.刮目相看sit up and take notice
他最近出了几本十分畅销的书,这使得很多人对他刮目相看
He has published a number of books and they all become best-sellers, the fact of which makes many people sit up and take notice.
8.挺不错的 be hunky-dory
他的女朋友挺不错的,跟谁都合得来。
His girlfriend is hunky-dory, getting on nicely with almost everyone.
9.已经……了 be over
电影已经完了 The film is over.
10.断断续续be off and on
我断断续续学了12年的英语了。
I have been learning English off and on for 12 years.
11.亏你说得出来 I like that!
你是说男人应该娶几个老婆?亏你说得出来!
Did you say that a man should have several wives? I like that!
12.闭上嘴 button one’s lip/zip ones lips
闭上嘴!难道你看不出来人家不爱听么?
Zip your lips. Can’t you see they’re annoyed?
13.真的阿 you don’t say
我已经和丽玲结婚了。  Li ling and I are married.
真的阿!你真幸运 。   You don’t say! You are lucky.
14.再合适不过了 suit somebody to a T
这个颜色对你再合适不过了。
This color suits you to a T.
15.让人看不下去an eye-sore
看那两个年轻人在那里又搂又吻的真让人看不下去。
The two young guys’ caressing and spooning there are plain an eye-sore.
16.不能用了 be done for
这件大衣不能穿了。买件新的吧。
Buy yourself a new coat. This one is already done for.
17. 不理不睬not even give a tumble
小李三番五次的说他喜欢小刘,可是小刘对他不理不睬
Xiao Li says that he likes Xiao Liu but she doesn’t even give him tumble.
18.拒绝某人的求婚give somebody the mitten
她说她的求婚被拒绝了。
She said that she had been given the mitten.
19.为……说句好话put in a good word for
你可以去找老王,让他在老板面前为你说句好话。
You may go to Lao Wang and ask him to put in a good word for you in front of the boss.
20.怎么也不…… can’t for the life of one.
我怎么也想不起他的电话号码了
I can’t for the life of me remember his telephone number.
21.绝对没有I’d eat my hat if I had…
我绝对没有把那个消息告诉她。
I’d eat my hat if I had disclosed the news to her.
22.算了吧call it quits
算了吧。他既然已有新欢,我也就不打算和他复婚了
I’d call it quits, and I would not remarry him for that he’s already had his new woman.
23.合格be up to grade
他们的新产品基本上都是合格的。
Their new products are near up to grade.
24.我同意I’ll drink to it.
你是说我们今晚到饭馆去吃么?这个我同意
 Did you say we’d eat out tonight? I’ll drink to that.
25. 严加训斥give somebody a dressing down
老板听到那个消息后严厉训斥了参与此事的职员。
On hearing the news, the boss gave a dressing down to all those clerks that were involved in the business.
26.一个字也不说not breathe a word
她的嘴很紧,直到现在对那件事她也没有吐露一个字。
She ‘s tight-mouthed .So far she has not breathed a word about that. 第七篇 金钱,爱情,婚姻,家庭1. 跟别人要钱 mooch off someone
我最讨厌跟别人要钱得人了。
I feel sick of those who mooch off others.
2. 钱挣海了 coin money
这几年老张的钱挣海了。谁也没料到他会发这么大的财。
Lao Zhang is coining money these few years. Who can ever expect he would be able to make bundles like this!
3. 钱多得花不完 have money to burn
老李的钱多得花不完,要不他敢这么挥霍?
Lao Li has money to burn. Otherwise, how could he splash his money about like anything?
4. 钱能生钱 money begets money
钱能生钱。没本钱又怎能挣大钱那?
Money begets money. Without money in hand, how can you make bundles?
5. 没钱 be broke
我手头没钱了,咱们别到外面去吃了
I don’t want to eat out today. I’m broke.
6. 钱来之不易 money doesn’t grow on trees
你不应该如此挥霍。钱来之不易阿!
You should not splash your money about like this. Money doesn’t grow on trees.
7. 敲竹杠 a clip joint
那可是一家漫天要价,大敲竹杠的商店阿
That shop is plain a clip joint!
8. 生活很富裕be well fixed
自从中国对外开放以后,有些农民也成了企业家,而且大部分农民的生活都富裕起来了。
 Since China opened to the outside world, some farmers have become entrepreneurs and many are well-fixed, living a much more comfortable life.
9. 吃了上顿没下顿 not know where the next meal comes
虽然很多人都已经富裕起来了,可是人有些人吃了上顿没下顿
In spite the fact that many have now become well-fixed, some people still remain in a state that they do not know where the next meal comes.
10. 发财 rake it in
它在海南挣了很多钱,真没想到他会发财
He made bundles in Hai Nan. He was unexpectedly raking it in.
11. 太宰人了 cost an arm and a leg
这个饭馆太宰人了,一个白菜豆腐汤也得要上几十元。
Eating in this restaurant will cost you an arm and a leg. You’ ll have to pay tens of yuan for even a soup of cabbage and beancurd
12. 跟别人比阔 keep up with the Joneses
我可不像你,老是和别人比阔
I’m not your sort who like to keep up with the Joneses.
13. 养家糊口bring home the bacon
一个家里总得有个养家糊口的人
Some one has to bring home the bacon in the family.
14. 与……私通 have an illicit love affair with
据说那个法官与一个电影明星私通。
The judge is said to have an illicit love affair with a film star.
15. 婚外恋 a double life
 我们这儿的人都感觉到他有婚外恋
People around here all feel that he’s leading a double life.
16. 深深爱上be head over heels in love with
听说小丽爱上一个比她大三十岁的老头子。爱情这个东西真是难琢磨。
I hear Xiao Li is head over heels in love with an old man who is 30 years older than her. Love is really a mystery.
17. 与门第比自己低的人结婚marry with the left hand
皇太子放弃了王位,与比自己门第低的人结了婚并到国外度蜜月去了
The son of the Emperor gave up his stewardship as King and married with the left hand. He’s now on their honeymoon abroad.
18. 嫁妆marriage portion
离婚时,她要求男方把她结婚时的全部嫁妆还给她。
On the point of their divorce, she demanded on his returning to her all the lot she has brought as her marriage portion.
19. 外快side money
在过去的几年中老张挣了一大笔外快
Lao Zhang has made a huge sum of side money in the past few years.
20.买得便宜 buy something on the cheap
他的那部车买得可真便宜
He bought that car on the cheap.
21.输得精光be taken to the cleaners
那帮人合伙欺负他,结果让他输得精光。
The guys ganged up on him and they took him to the cleaners.
22.调情 make a pass at someone
当一个陌生男子开始向我调情时,我瞪了他一眼就离开了。
When I found that a stranger began to make a pass at me, I gave him a stern look and left.
23.花费 outgoings
他一个月才挣300多块钱,怎么能支付得起家里所有的花费那?
He gets about 300 yuan a month .How could he possibly balance his family’s outgoings with such a small income?
24.重要约会a heavy date
她说她今晚有重要约会,所以不能来了。
She says she is having a heavy date tonight, so she won’t come.
25.向……求婚pop the question to
他向我求婚时说一辈子只爱我一个人。可是现在呢?情况可大不一样了。
When he popped the question to me he said that I was the only one he would love but now, the story is quite different.
26.把……给甩了give somebody the air
最后她还是把他给甩了。
She had as supposed given him the air at last.
27.怀孕了 be heavy with child
你怎么能忍心让一个大肚子的女人干这样重的活呢?
How could you have the heart to let a woman heavy with child to do such a rough job?
28.生在富贵人家born with a silver spoon in one’s mouth
一般说来,生在富贵人家的孩子很少有什么出息,
Generally speaking, very few of those who were born with a silver spoon in their mouths will make the mark.
29.开价 make a price
我看过你的那部车了,现在你开个价吧。
I’ve seen your car and now you can make a price.
30.卖个好价钱  fetch a good price
他的那部车在这次拍卖会上一定能卖个好价钱。
His car is certain to fetch a good price at the auction.
31.搂搂抱抱play kossy-poo
公园里那些年轻人搂搂抱抱的真让人看不下去
 It’s plain an eye-sore seeing those youngsters playing kissy-poo in the park.
32.正经人家 a respectable family
他是个正经人家的女孩子,我不相信她会干出这种事。
She’s a respectable girl. I don’t think she could have done this.
33.勾引别人的女朋友beat somebody’s time with someone
据说他经常勾引别人的女朋友
It is said that he often beats other people’s time with their girlfriends.
34.零花钱 pocket money
我不赞同给孩子们很多零花钱
I do not favour the idea of giving children a lot of pocket money.
35.向某人作媚眼 make eyes at
从她向老板作媚眼的那个德行你就知道她是个什么样的人了。
From the way she is making eyes at the boss you’ll certainly know what sort of person she is . 36.一见钟情 take a shine to someone
他和她一见钟情。
She took shine to him on their blind date.
37.家丑 a skeleton in the closet
许多家庭都有不可外扬的家丑
Many families have a skeleton in the closet.
38. 婚姻破裂 marriage on the rocks
据说他们的婚姻已经濒于破裂。
It’s said that their marriage is on the rocks.
39.旧情人an old flame
昨天晚上和你一起吃饭的那个人肯定是你过去的情人
The one you were dinning with last night must be your old flame.
40.装修房子spruce up
这次我们装修房子花了近30,000元。
We spent nearly30, 000 yuan op sprucing up the house.
41.生活优裕 live high off the hog
近几年来,有些小学都没念过的人也过起优裕的生活来了
In recent years, those who even haven’t had primary school education have begun living high off the hog.
42.钱能毁了挣钱的人 money can unmake its makers
有钱能使鬼推磨是真,可是钱能毁了挣钱的人也是真。
It’s true that “money makes the mare go, “and it’s equally true that “Money sometimes unmakes its makers.”
43.有家室的人 a man of family
他可是个有家室的人。你怎么想和他结婚呢?
He’s a man of family. How can you have such a half-baked idea of marrying him?
44.好汉无好妻 marriage goes by contrasts
小陈和她结婚了?真是好汉无好妻
Xiao Chen got married with her? Marriage really goes by contrasts.
45.钱花得值 get one’s money’s worth
虽然你送孩子上学得花一大笔钱,可这钱花得值。
Although you’ll have to spend a large sum on sending the kid to school, you still get your money’s worth.
46.没有儿女拖累 without encumbrance
她是个没有儿女拖累的自由女人。
She is a lady without encumbrance. 第八篇 评价,疑虑和问询1. 崭新的 brand new.
他买了一台崭新的轿车
He bought a brand new car.
2. 太便宜了 be dirt cheap
这块手表才花了30美元,真是太便宜了。
You bought this watch only for 30 dollars? It’s dirt cheap.
3.费事儿 take a lot of doing
做鱼特别费事儿,我可不愿意洗阿,淹阿,钝阿什么的。
It takes a lot of doing to cook a fish. I wouldn’t like to spend a lot of time washing, salting, stewing and whatnots for the cooking of it.
4.知道底细 have someone’s number
别跟我瞎吹了,我又不是不了解你的底细。
No big talk with me, I have your number.
5.精品 the choicest goods
这家商店卖的手表都是精品,而且种类还特别多。
This shop sells a wide range of watches, all of which are the choicest.
6. 了解一下情况 get the lay of the land
经理说他想让我们先去海南了解一下那里的情况,然后再决定投资的事。
The manager said that he would like us to go to Hai Nan and get the lay of the land there before deciding on the investment.
7.掌上明珠 the apple of someone’s eye
玲玲是她爷爷的掌上明珠
Ling Ling is the apple of her grandpa’s eye.
8.让人恶心turn one’s stomach / make one sick
听她讲话,看她和男人讲话的那股劲头儿真让我恶心。
Listening to her and seeing the way of her talking with men really turns my stomach.
9. 惹麻烦了 be in a jam
小张这次可惹麻烦了,昨天他又让警察给逮着了。
Xiao Zhang’s in a jam now. He was copped out again by the police yesterday.
10.关系很好 be on good terms with
据说老张和那个部长的关系特别好
It’s said that Lao Zhang is on very good terms with the minister.
11.甜头儿 sugar plum
如果不尝到点甜头儿,她是不会干那种事的
She wouldn’t do that if she hadn’t got sort of sugar plum.
12.什么都敢赌  can bet one’s bottom dollar
她绝对不会和他结婚的,这个我什么都敢赌。
I can bet my bottom dollar that she won’t marry him for anything.
13.美中不足a fly in the ointment
我喜欢那套房子,但美中不足的是离上班的地方太远。
I like the house, but there’s a fly in the ointment: I have to commute so far to work.
14.蹩脚货/次品 a lemon
几天以后他才发现他买的车是个蹩脚货。
Not until several days later did he find the car he bought was a lemon.
15.小道消息 through the grapevine
不要听任何小道消息,现在传闲话的人越来越多了。
Don’t believe anything through the grapevine. There are more and more gossipers.
16.其丑无比 have a face that would stop a clock
我真不敢想象象李同这样英俊的小伙子竟然和奇丑无比的孙丽结了婚
You can hardly imagine that a handsome man like Li Tong would get married with a girl like Sun Li who has a face that would stop the clock.
17.体型匀称  be well-proportioned
杰克体型匀称,个头适中,一双大眼睛炯炯有神,成了许多女孩追求的目标。
Lack, with a body well-proportioned, about the middling, a pair of intense big eyes, has become the target of many pretty girls.
18. 做得太过火了 overplay one’s hand
你一定时做得太过火了, 否则她不会对你如此不依不饶的。
You must have overplayed your hand or she wouldn’t have taken off her gloves to you like that!
19.正中下怀  play into someone’s hands
你同意到外地出差正中老板下怀,至于原因,还是留给你自己去思考吧
Your agreeing to take the business trip in another city well played into the hands of the boss. As for the reason, you put it in the pipe and smoke it.
20/轻松的工作 a cushy job
他想干个轻松的工作,可又怕挣钱太少了。
He hope to take a cushy job but at the same time, worries about pay he gets from such a job.
21.多的不得了 a jillion
千万别让你的丈夫去那个城市出差,那里的妓女多得不得了
Never allow your husband to take a trip to that city. There are a jillion streetwalkers there.
22.争论的原因  a bone of contention
我想,分利不均才是他们争吵的真正原因。
I think the inequality in splitting the profits is their real bone of contention.
23.仍在……着 be still on
现在已经是深夜12点了,可是他办公室的灯还在亮着。
It’s already 12:00 o’clock midnight, yet, the light in his office is still on.
24.有点生疏   go a bit rusty
A:你能讲法语么?B:过去学过,可几年不用有点生疏了。
Can you speak French? I learned it, but I haven’t used it for a long time so it has got a bit rusty.
25.喝多了 have one too many
看他那个样子肯定是喝多了,你最好把他送回家
He must seem to have had one too many. You’d better walk him home.
26.事情的真相 what’s what
如果你弄清事情的真相,就马上打电话告诉我
Give me a buzz and tell me as soon as you’ve got the what’s what.
27.真惨 a bad scene
这次考试真惨。十道题我只答对了两道,其他的全错了。
This exam was really the bad scene! I miss all the ten questions but two.
28.不能再……了can’t be adjective+er
这个价格不能再低了 The price can’t be any lower.
29.彻头彻尾的 out and out
他是个彻头彻尾的口头革命派。
He’s an out and out armchair revolutionary.
30.打扮得特别漂亮be dressed to the nines
每次去参加舞会,她都打扮得特别漂亮。
Every time she went to a dance, she would always be dressed up to the nines.
31.空头支票 lip-service
他对我们的许诺不过是个空头支票而已。
What he promised us is but a lip-service.
32.害人反害己 harm set, harm get
他吃苦果既是我们常说的“害人反害己”的最好例证
the bitter fruit he has got can be a very good example of what we call “Harm set, harm get.”
33.到底 on earth
你到底想怎么着? What on earth do you want ?
34.活见鬼 The Deuce!
真见鬼了!你不告诉他他怎么会知道我们俩在做这个买卖那?
The Deuce! How could he possibly know what business we are doing without telling him?
35.你好好琢磨琢磨吧 Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
你好好琢磨琢磨吧。他凭什么对你那样慷慨那?
Why should he be so generous to you like that? Put it in your pipe and smoke it.
36.那有怎样?So what?
我说了,那有怎样?  I said it .So what?
37.完蛋了 the jig is up.
这回他完蛋了,警察在他的提箱里发现了大麻。
The jig is up this time. The police found marijuana in his briefcase.
38.添油加醋 spice up
我没有添油加醋,我说的都是事实。
 I didn’t spice up. All I said is true.
39.要命的东西 the kiss of death
千万别得罪他,得罪他可是个要命的事。
Never offend him. That’ll be the kiss of death.
40.逼真 true to life
他的那张画画的真逼真。 This painting of his is true to life.
41.睡得像死猪一样 sleep like a log
那些工人睡得像死猪一样,老板什么时候来的都不知道。
The workers were all sleeping like a log, even without knowing when the boss gad arrived.
42.仅次于 be next only to
从人口数量方面讲,印度仅次于中国。
Talking about the size of population, India is next only to China.
43.幸亏  thank God
当时幸亏警察赶到了,要不他非得被那帮人打死。
Thank God the police had arrived or he might be killed by the gang.
44.喧宾夺主 steal the show
我可不愿意在这些领导面前喧宾夺主。
I wouldn’t like to steal the show before these leading personnels.
45.你这样做人家会怎么说那? What will Mrs. Grundy say?
你说要像他们一样以那种方式去挣钱。如果你真的那样做,别人又会怎么说呢?
You said that you would go to make money the way as they do. But if you have done the same, what will Mrs. Grundy say?
46.使……逊色 put …in the shade
在任何舞会上,只要她一露面,就显不着其他人了。
She would put everyone else in the shade at whatever party she appears.
47.多么……阿Talk about…!
多么漂亮的女人阿!
Talk about a beautiful woman!
48.今后的麻烦 the devil to pay
你可以把那笔钱要回来,但是考虑到今后的麻烦,我劝你还是不要的好
You can certainly get the money back. But when coming to think of the devil to pay, I advise you to give it up.
49.实在该……了 it’s high time …did…
你实在该考虑你的婚姻问题了。
It’s high time you thought about getting married.
50. 无风不起浪 Where there’s smoke there’s fire.
无风不起浪,我想她肯定做过那种事。
She must have done that sort of thing. Where there’s smoke there’s fire.
51.沉重的包袱 a millstone around one’s neck
他一直打算出国留学,可是年迈的老母亲以及妻子和孩子成了他的沉重包袱。
He’s been thinking of furthering his studies abroad but, his aged mother, his wife and the children all become a millstone around his neck.
52.理亏 be in the wrong
他承认那是他的不是,而且也向你表示了歉意,你为什么还要对他如此的不依不饶呢?
He admitted he was in the wrong and had already expressed his apology. But why should you still come down on him like a ton of bricks?
53.除非太阳打西边出来 till gigs can fly
想让我嫁给他那号人? 除非太阳打西边出来。
Want me to marry a person of his sort? Till pigs can fly.
54.宽容大度 turn the other cheek
当你得知别人在背后说了你的坏话时,要做到对这个人宽容大度是很难的。
When you know that someone spoke evil of you behind your back, it would be very difficult to turn the other cheek to him.
55.赞扬某人sing someone’s praises.
你为什么老是赞扬那个家伙?我认为他不值得你称赞
Why should you always sing that guy’s praises? I don’t think he deserves all your praise.
56.接受某人的观点take someone’s point
我接受了你的观点,但是这不等于我完全同意你的看法。
I took your point , but it doesn’t mean I totally agree with you.
57.恰到好处 fit like a glove
你对他的批评恰到好处,如果你说得再过点儿头,他也许就接受不了了。
Your criticism of him fitted just like a glove. If you had have made it a bit hotter, he could not have possibly accepted them.
58.完美无缺 nothing left to desire
他的生活已经是完美无缺了
He had nothing left to desire in life.
59.平易近人common touch
他当了部长以后,仍未失去平易近人的作风。
Even after becoming a minister, he still keeps his common touch with people.
60.听天由命  resign to fate
他试了几次都失败了,所以现在也只能听天由命了
He failed all his attempts and now he has to resign to his fate.
61.有失身份beneath one’s dignity
如果你也那样做,那可就有失身份了
I would be beneath your dignity if you’d follow suit and do the same.
62.错过他人 bark up the wrong tree
也可能是我错怪了她,不过她确实经常和一个男人出去。
I may have been barking up the wrong tree, but she does go our a lot with a man.
63.跃跃欲试be itching for a chance to do…
你为什么不给他一次机会呢?他正跃跃欲试,想向你 证实一下他的能力。。
Why don’t you give him a chance? He’s itching for a chance for show you his abilities.
64.胸怀大志 hitch one’s wagon to a star
胸怀大志是件很好的事情,但是光有大志是不够的。
It’s great to hitch your wagon to a star, but that alone is not enough.
65.留一条退路 hedge one’s bets
他没有把全部打算都告诉对方,为的是给自己留一条退路。
In order to hedge his bets he didn’t tell the other party all of his plan.
66.不公平的待遇 a raw deal
 我真搞不懂她遭遇不公平待遇却不敢吭声
I can’t understand why she got a raw deal and could not be up in arms.第九篇 策略,手段,做法。
1. 敷衍搪塞  give someone the runaround
别拿话儿搪塞我们,我们只是想知道你到底是同意还是不同意。
Don’t give us the runaround. We’d just like to know whether you agree or not.
2.哭穷 to poor-mouth
别跟我哭穷了,我还不知道你的底细?
Don’t poor-mouth to me. I have your number.
3.白吃白喝 a freeloader
我可不愿白吃白喝别人。我不是那种爱占便宜的人。
I wouldn’t freeload .I’m not a freeloader.
4.牵线搭桥 pull the strings
听说你公司有个空位,我很想去试一试。但你能先为我牵线搭桥么?
I hear there’s an opening in your company and I would like to fill it. But will you pull some strings for me?
5.甩掉 palm of f
他让你赶紧把手中的次品都甩掉。
He urged you palm off all the shoddy goods immediately.
6.得罪某人get in Dutch with someone
张名得罪了他的上司,几个月后就被开除了。
Zhang Ming got in Dutch with his boss and in a few months he was sacked.
7.说别人的闲话dish the dirt about…
她特别喜欢说别人的闲话,是我们这出了名的长舌妇。
She is a notorious gossiper here, who is very fond of dishing the dirt about others.
8.挂个电话 give a buzz
在来之前请先给我挂个电话,以免让你扑空。
Give me a buzz before coming so that you won’t come to a locked door.
9.写封信 drop me a line
有空了给我写封信
Drop me a line when you have time.
10. 榨干血汗 bleed one white
他们是在设法榨干你身上所有的钱。
They are trying to bleed you white.
11. 结伙对付某人 gang up on somebody
一些较大的贸易公司纠结在一起来对付我们,打算把我们从该行业中排挤出去。
Some fairly large trading companies ganged up on us, trying t force us out of that business.
12. 无言以对 not find one’s tongue
起初他还挺硬,可是当警察出示经他篡改的文件并问他是怎么一回事的时候,他却无言以对了。
He was arrogant at the beginning, but the moment when the police showed the documents he had doctored and asked him what the matter was, he could not find his tongue.
13. 把人逼疯send somebody the loony bin
别再问了! 你想把你妈妈逼疯么?
Don’t ask her! Do you want to send your mum to the loony bin.
14. 反手一击turn the tables
他们给她来了个反击。
They turned the tables on her.
15.瞧一眼 give someone the once-over
听说那位演员来了,大家都想出去瞧一眼。
Hearing that the actress had arrived everyone went out and gave her the once-over.
15. 对牛弹琴cast pearls before swine
你给他们讲解人体语言在交际中的重要性简直是对牛弹琴。
Trying to explain to them the importance of body language in communication is just like casting pearls before swine
16. 拆了东墙补西墙 rob Peter to pay Paul
你从张家借钱还李家有什么意义?那只是拆了东墙补西墙
what’s the sense in borrowing from Zhang just to pay Li?That’s meant to rob Peter to pay Paul.
17. 我只是私下跟你随便说说。Only between you and me and the gatepost.
我只私下跟你随便说说,听说经理跟那个女孩的关系可不大一般。
It’s only between you and me and the gatepost, I hear that the manager is on very familiar terms with that girl.
18. 参与某事 have a finger in the pie
我可不喜欢你参与那件事,你没有那个能力
I don’t like you to have a finger in the pie, You are no good at such a deal.
19. 顺手牵羊to walk away with…
那天聊完天以后,他就顺手牵羊把我的钢笔和打火机都拿走了。
That day after our chat, he walked away with both my pen and the lighter.
20.把……打发走 to fob off
不用着急,你丈夫知道怎么样把那帮人打发走。
There’s no need to worry, for your husband knows how to fob the gang off.
20. 偷看make a stealthy glance at…
他偷看那个女孩儿一样就装模做样的看起报纸来了
He made a stealthy glance at the girl and put on sort of airs of starting to read.
21. 刁难某人make it hot for someone
我不想刁难你,但如果你不还给我那封信,我就不会告诉你那件事的实情。
I don’t want to make it hot for you. But I won’t tell you the true story of that till you return the letter to me.
22. 横穿马路 jaywalk
在这条街上横穿马路是要被罚款的
Anyone who jaywalks in this street will be fined.
23. 咬紧牙关bite the bullet
董事长让董事会要紧牙关顶住这场危机。
The president asked the board to bite the bullet to the crisis.
24. 吓唬某人  give somebody a bluff
别害怕,我只是吓唬吓唬你而已。
Don’t be scared .I was only giving you a bluff.
25. 解囊相助 give someone the shirt off  one’s back
缺钱花时你可以去找老张,他会解囊相助的。
You can turn to Zhang when you are caught short. He would give you the shirt off his back.
26. 拔腿就跑 take to one’s heels
当街头小贩看到警察来了时,他们匆忙卷起摆的摊儿拔腿就跑
As soon as the street peddlers saw the police coming they folded up their stands and took to their heels.
27. 刻苦钻研某科to dig at a subject
她说她一定要刻苦钻研美国文学以应付明年的考试。
She said that she would dig at American literature for her exam next year.
28. 打开天窗说亮话 talk turkey
在这个问题上我们兜了这么长时间的圈子了,现在也该说点真格的了
 We have been beating about the bush on the matter for so long and it’s time to talk turkey.
29. 骑到某人脖子上walk all over someone
不要显得低于他,否则他会骑到你脖子上的。
Don’t appear to be in an inferior to him, or he’ll walk over you.
30. 被逼得走投无路 be driven to the wall
他因被债主逼得走投无路而自杀。
The creditor drove him to the wall, which resulted in his suicide.
31.抖露出去 hang out something
如果你对我不公平,我就把你的那些丑事都给抖露出去
If you’re unfair to me, I’ll certainly hang out all your dirty linen.
31. 向……行贿 grease the hand of …
那个司机企图收买警察,却被警察拒绝了。
The driver was trying to grease the hand of the coop, but he was refused.
32. 出卖朋友 sell someone down the river
你说他不好,可他从不会出卖自己的朋友。
You may think he is bad, but he has never sold his friends down the river.
33. 有毛病 have rocks in one’s head
你把我钱借给像他那样的人?你有毛病阿?
Want me to lend the money to guy like him? Have you got rocks in your head?
34. 凑合  fill the bill
我没有新的,你先拿这个去凑合用吧。
I don’t have a new one, but you may take this to fill the bill.
35. 糊弄人 throw someone off the scent
我把实情告诉他了,可是他以为我在糊弄他。
I told him the true story, but he still thought I was throwing him off the scent.
36. 堵住某人的嘴 stop someone’s mouth
他给你那笔钱是为了堵住你的嘴。
He gave you the money in order to stop your mouth.
37. 逃学play hookey
他可不像你,动不动就逃学。
He’s not your sort, who plays hookey at will.
38. 玩儿命 play with one’s life
很多出租汽车司机说他们得玩儿命挣钱。
Many cab drivers say that they must play with their lives to get money.
39. 心里正盘算着 toy with the idea of doing
我心里正盘算着把我女儿嫁给他呢。
I was just toying wit the idea of marrying my daughter off with him.
40.来真格的 for keeps
咱们是随便玩玩呢,还是来真格的?
Shall we play for fun or for keeps?
40. 请示上边儿 ask the top kick
这个我自己决定不了,我得请示上边儿。
I can’t decide on it personally. I have to ask the top kick.
41. 吃老本rest on one’s laurels.
 看来我们再也不能靠吃老本过日子了。
It seems that we can no longer afford to rest on our Laurels.
42. 下饭馆儿 to eat out
今天咱们也下次饭馆,算是换个口味吧。
Let’s eat out today, just for a change.
43. 搞得一团糟 louse up something
他因为跟另外一个女人勾搭而把自己的婚姻搞得一团糟。
He loused up his own marriage by getting involved with another woman.
44. 精神寄托 someone’s meat and drink
读书成了我唯一的精神寄托。
Reading has become my only meat and drink.
45. 瞎猜a shot in the dark
你怎么知道那件事的?  How did you know that?
我不知道,是我瞎猜的。  I didn’t know. It was only a shot in the dark.
46. 干掉某人cook somebody’s goose
昨晚他们商量要一起干掉那个家伙。
Last night they talked about their plan to cook the guy’s goose.
47. 有保留的 with a grain of salt
我们有保留的同意了他们的计划。
We agreed to their plan wit ha grain of salt.
48. 说走嘴 make a slip of the tongue
他只是说走嘴了,根本没有想伤害你的意思。
He didn’t mean to hurt you, he only made a slip of the tongue.
49. 兜风go out for a spin
他们开车到外面去兜风了
They drove the car and went out for a spin.
50. 折磨某人 run somebody through the guts
如果你对她这么好又不打算和她结婚,这不等于折磨她么
If you are so good to her without ever wanting to marry her, that will amount to running her through the guts.
51. 十分仓猝的be in a tearing hurry
他们十分仓猝的卷起钱就从后门逃走了。
They rolled up the money and left through the back gate in a tearing hurry.
52. 改邪归正 straighten up and fly right
他说他要改邪归正,并向我保证不再做那种事了
He said he would straighten up and fly right and assured me that he would never involve himself in things of that sort.
53. 抓阄draw straws
咱们抓阄来决定谁先去吧
Let’s decide who should go first by drawing straws.
54. 过夜 shack up
据说在结婚之前他和几个女孩子过过夜。
It’s said that he had shacked up with several girls before getting married.
55. 为自己辩护 shelter oneself
他为自己说那天他太忙了,没来得及关掉烤箱。
He sheltered himself by saying that he was too busy to turn off the oven that day.
56. 庇护take someone under one’s wing
我知道妈妈总是庇护你,可这次我不再让步了。
I know mum’s always taking you under her wing, but I wouldn’t give in again this time.
57. 仓猝购买 buy a pig in a poke
买车时自己试都不试,这不是太仓猝了么
Buying a car without trying it by yourself is just like buying a pig in a poke, isn’t it?
58. 收回自己说过的话 eat one’s words
他即使说了错话,也决不肯回来。
He wouldn’t eat his words even if he knows he said the wrong things.
59. 把某人灌醉 drink someone under the table
我知道他们想把我灌醉了,可是我就是不喝过量的酒。
I knew they wanted to drink me under the table, but I sticked to my limits.
60. 消磨旅途时光  cheat the journey
火车上,旅客们通常以读报纸,打牌或闲聊的方式来消磨旅途时光。
Passengers usually cheat the journey by reading newspapers, playing cards or shooting the breeze in the train.
61.付好处费 pay off
他说我们必须先付给他一笔好处费,他才会带我们去见那位部长。
He said that he wouldn’t take us to see the minister until we had paid him off.
61. 把衣服穿反了 wear…inside out
62. 山中无老虎,猴子称霸王。
老板出差了,他可以指手画脚的指挥别人了。山中无老虎,猴子称霸王嘛。
The boss is away on business so he could finger others around in the office. This is when the cat’s away, the mice will play.
63. 跟某人开个玩笑 give someone a ribbing
我只是跟她开个玩笑,可她却当真了
I only gave her a ribbing, but she took it seriously.
64. 拿别人开心 to rib someone
为什么你总拿别人开心呢?要是别人拿你开心你又会有什么感受?
Why should you always like to rib others? What if others do the same to you?
65. 同甘苦,共患难 share weal and woe
结婚前他发誓说要和我同甘苦,共患难的,可是在我病危之际他却抛弃了我。
Before getting married, he swore that he would share weal and woe with me but now, he abandoned me at a time when my health is threatening my life.
66. 小题大做 stir a storm in a teacup
他说他是在阐述深奥的道理,可我认为他只不过在小题大做,故弄玄虚而已。
He said that he was explaining some abstruse philosophy. But to me he was only trying to stir up a storm in a teacup and mystifying things.
67. 动不动就…… at the drop of a hat
我真不懂你干吗动不动就拿孩子出气呢?
I can’t make it out why should you get it out on the kids at the drop of a hat.
68. 开导某人 talk sense into someone
我那个儿子是鬼迷心窍了,你来开导开导他把
My son’s having a bee in his bonnet. I’d like you to come over and talk sense into him.
69.以其人之道还治其人之身   give someone a taste of his own medicine
这就是我所说的“以其人之道还治其人之身”。
This is what I call “give him a taste of his own medicine”.
70.豁出去了 shoot the works
这次我也豁出去了,到五星级大饭店请你们吃一顿。
I’ll shoot the works this time by giving you a treat in a five-star hotel.
71.那某人当出气筒 take it out on someone
孩子们没招你惹你的,你干吗拿他们当出气筒?
What have the kids done to provoke you? Why should you take it out on them?
72.吸毒成瘾 be on the needle
你最好离这些女孩子远一点儿,她们都吸毒成瘾了。
You’d better steer clear of these girls. They are all on the needle. 第十篇 其他(Miscellaneous)
1. 不妙 something is to pay
经理感到事情有点不妙。
The manager had a hunch that something was to pay.
2. 眼中钉 a thorn in someone’s flesh.
不知为什么我成了他们的眼中钉了。我可从未错待过他们。
I wonder why I become a thorn in their flesh. I’ve never harmed them.
3.馋得流口水 make someone’s mouth water
桌上的美味佳肴馋得他直流口水。
The delicacies on the table make him mouth water.
4.胡说八道  shooting from the hip
他说我迷恋上了莉莉?这简直是胡说八道。
He thinks I’ve got the hots for lily? It’s shooting from the hip!
5.各奔东西 drift apart
毕业后我们班的同学就各奔东西了。
After graduation my classmates drifted apart.
6.呕吐shoot the cat
他刚吃完饭就吐了. He shoot the cat right after the meal.
7.打嗝 make a belch
孩子打嗝了,让他喝口水吧。
The kid is making a belch. Give him a drink.
8.久等 cool one’s heels
我在你家门外足足等了两个小时。
I was left cooling my heels outside your home for two hours.
9.各有利弊 cut both ways
在国营企业或合资企业工作各有利弊:在国营企业工作比较安定,但工资较少。在合资企业工作挣钱多一些,可是又不稳定。
It cuts both ways to work in a state-run enterprise or a joint venture: the pay from a state-run enterprise is relatively lower but you feel more stable while in a joint venture you feel unassured, through the pay is relatively higher.
10.吃闭门羹 to a locked door
我昨天去他家看他,不想吃了闭门羹。
I went to see him yesterday, but unfortunately I was to a locked door.
11.哪儿都找了 look high and low
我哪都找了,可还是没有找到那把钥匙。
I looked high and low for the key, but I couldn’t find it anywhere.
12.抽筋 have a charley horse
别碰我,我大腿抽筋了。
Don’t touch me; I’ve got a charley horse on the leg.
13.烫伤 to scald
炸丸子时他把手给烫伤了,现在手上全是泡。
He had his hand scalded when frying meatballs and now the scalds come up in blisters all over his hand.
14.被叮get stung by
在割草时,他被黄蜂叮了一下,现在脸都肿了。
He got stung by a wasp while cutting grass and his face is swollen now.
15.不一会儿 in a jiffy
别离开,他们不一会就到了。
Don’t go away. They’ll arrive in jiffy.
16.碰某人一指头   lay a finger on…
如果你再敢碰我妹妹一指头,我就杀了你。
I’ll kill you if you so much as lay a finger on my sister again.
17.让我 …… lemme…
让我试试吧。Lemme have a try.
(lemme 是let me音变形式。)
18.我不骗你 I kid you not
真的, 我不骗你。 他确实是那样说的。
Really. I kid you. He indeed said so.
19.千篇一律 be in a rut
他们的生活只是老一套,不是上班,就是回家做饭或看电视。
Their life is always in a rut. They would either go to work or do cooking and watch TV after work.
20.经常出没于某地 haunt about a place
有人向警方报告说那个嫌疑犯经常和一个戴眼镜的女孩出没于西山角下的大饭店。
Some reported to the police that the suspect often haunted about the grand hotel at the foot of the western hill with a four-eyed girl.
21.拿手 be right up someone’s alley
你可以让老张做那条鱼,那是他的拿手好戏。
You may ask Lao Zhang to cook the fish, it is right up his alley.
22.拜倒某人脚下  worship the ground sb. treads on
他的才华使得很多学者都拜倒在他脚下了
 His talents have made many scholars worship the ground that he treads on.
23.例假 that time of the month
医生说女人来例假时不应干过重的活。
The doctor says that women at that time of the month should avoid doing heavy work.
24.坐月子 be in confinement
中国有这样一个说法,女人坐月子时是不能被看望的。
There’s a Chinese saying that goes “a woman in confinement should not be visited。”
25.闲聊 chew the rag
我特别讨厌和他们那帮人在那里山南海北的闲聊。
I got fed up sitting there and chewing the rag with the gang like theirs.
26.从小看大 the child is father of the man
从小看大,他现在不好好学习,将来也不会有什么出息。
The child is father of the man. From the way he loathes studied you know that he’s not the one among those that will make the mark.
27.坐牢  be caged
他因犯强奸罪而做了三年的牢
He had been caged for three years for committing rape.
28.满城风雨 be the talk of the town
那个电影明星和市长订婚弄得满城风雨的。
The film star’s engagement with the mayor became the talk of the town.
29.零零碎碎的东西 odds and ends
请你把桌上那些零零碎碎的东西都收拾起来吧。
Will you please tidy up all the odds and ends on the table.
30.生米做成了熟饭 the die is cast
如今生米做成了熟饭,你再反对又有什么用?
What’s the point of standing against it? The die is already cast.
31.听到风声get wind of something
如果他们听到风声,知道我们在搞什么,我们就很被动了。
If they get wind of what we are doing, we’ll then be in a very passive position.
32.苗头 a straw in the wind
他有被晋升的苗头。
There’s a straw in the wind: he’ll be promoted.
33.卡壳儿get stuck
前面的5道题他都作对了,最后一道题却卡了壳。
He got all the five questions right, but got stuck in the last one.
34.哪里哪里 shucks
你真是太勇敢了。  You were so brave.
哪里哪里,这算不了什么。  Shucks, it wasn’t anything.
35.乱七八糟be at sixes and sevens
她的房间总是乱七八糟的,连个下脚的地方都没有。
Her room is always at sixes and sevens, even without room to swing a cat in.
36.受……支配 be at the mercy of
如果你不想受人家支配,你就必须单干,经营你自己的一摊儿。
If you don’t want to be at the mercy of others m you’ll have to start a business of your own.
37.扭转局势tip the scales
起初,A队配合得不是很好并且连丢6分,,只是教练换上了6号球员以后才扭转了局势。
At the beginning, Team A did not have very good teamwork and they lost 6 scores in a run, But the coach tipped the scales by replacing someone with the Number Six player.
---------                               单词快速记忆法  
怎样才能把这么多单词背下来呢?最重要的一点,就是:...如果想比别人成功,就一定要走捷径。不要期盼自己比别人幸运,也不要指望自己比别人更聪明或者更勤奋。从智力上说,从机遇上说,自己和别人都是差不了多少的,想超过和自己差不多的人,就一定要走捷径,捷径,捷径!
    背单词捷径的第一条,就是:一定要每次都大量地背。因为自己不比别人聪明,所以背完单词,别人忘掉五分之一,自己决不会比别人忘得少。然而,别人每天背十个单词,自己却可以背一百个,忘掉五分之一,还剩八十个,是别人最聪明状态下的十倍。每天一百个是最低限。其实背到后来您会发现这个要求并不高,一个月后,您可能自然而然地就背到三百或者五百。
    这一百个要分成四组来背,上午三十,中午十个,下午三十,晚上三十。第二天早晨复习以前没背下来的词。背的时候,要一目十词(注意,是十个而不是更多或更少),不要认认真真背,因为没有认认真真的时间。一边看一边读每个词的读音,默读也成。看完后回忆一遍,回忆不起来的再看。这次背的目的在于留下个大概印象,下次看见能知道这个词,所以背到大部分都能回忆得起来就成了,把剩下的词单独抄出来。
    背单词捷径的第二条,就是:背字典!为什么要背字典呢?因为字典上每个词的解释比较全面,而且相同字母开头的单词都集中在一起。不是什么字典都可以拿来背的,一定要找只包含自己想背的词的字典。另外,最好有解释和例句。而且,一定要有音标!一般教材课文后面的词汇表都是为那些认认真真听课的好学生准备的,想走捷径就千万不要去背那些东西。
    背字典的时候,按开头字母(Z,Y,X,Q,J,K,U)(V,W,N,O,L)(FG,IT,HM,BDE,R)(C,P,S,A)的顺序背,其中C,P,S,A每个都要分三部分背。这样背有几个好处:(一)能增加成就感,提高兴趣。至于为什么,您翻翻字典就明白了。(二)便于清楚地知道那些单词已经背过,那些还没背。(三)能先把最基本的词先掌握。
    三万单词里,分为三个等级:三千到四千,八千到一万,两万二到三万。也就是说,您得分别准备三本字典。这几个等级之间各自有非常不同的特性,所以需要分别用不同方法背。俺当时没有认识到这一点,所以在从一万到三万之间走了一段弯路,浪费了一些时间,不然或许能突破到五万吧。
 
       所以,背单词捷径的下面这条就有了三个分支:
    背单词捷径的第三条,就是:和单词多见面。一个单词能不能记住,取决于和它在不同场合见面的频率,不在于每次看着它的时间长短(同样规律也适合于泡MM)。一般想记住一个单词,每星期要和它在“不同场合”见三到四次面。俺在上文中提到大量背的时候,不要抠某一个字记住与否就是这个意思。因为是否一见钟情都是无所谓的,关键在于有更多不同类型的见面机会。不过,根据要背的单词的等级不同,增加见面机会的方式也有所不同。
    第一个分支:瞎听!三千到四千这个等级,是非常常用的单词,而且几乎囊括了表达最基本思想所需要的一切词汇。每篇文章中百分之八十都是这些词汇,而且这些词都是最基本的语素(或称“词根”),就是分割到最小无法再分割,互相之间也没什么类似之处的东西。对付这些词的最好方法,就是进行大量的,不间断的,简单的初级听力练习。因为阅读材料中,还有百分之二十其他词汇,所以光凭这个等级的词还看不懂那些阅读材料。但是听力练习都是最基本的对话,而且发音一般很标准,多听能够增加单词的重复率,而且可以为以后背八千到一万那个等级的词打下语音基础。
    听的时候,要分精听和泛听两部分。精听当然是指每个词都要弄懂,俺着重讲一下泛听。泛听是最重要的,因为掌握语速和语调,以及总体印象都要靠泛听。而这些都是背八千到一万等级单词的基础。泛听能够让经常用到的词(也就是那些最必要掌握的词)把您的耳朵磨出茧子来,让您模模糊糊听到个音就能反应出它是什么意思。泛听中您听到的词,才是您真正应该记住的词,所以别害怕精听的时候什么都听不懂。到底什么是泛听呢?泛听,就是说您听的时候,精神要分散,要一边干着其他事(比如撮饭或和别人大声讨论撮饭~),一边有一搭没一搭地听着。泛听一定要见缝插针,一有机会就听着,最好耳机不离耳朵。
    而精听的意义就在于找出您没听清的那些词。啊哈,那就是您背过但还不熟悉的词了。把这些词单独记在另外一个地方,别跟没背下来的词混了。泛听要听精听已经听过的内容。比如精听听到了第二盘磁带,那么泛听就听第一盘磁带,正好。提醒您一句,千万别拿英语广播当自己的听力教材!!!
    ...第二个分支:狂看!八千到一万这个等级,基本包含了剩下的百分之二十。这些单词在听力教材里很难找到。但是,可不要停止听的练习呦,因为听能巩固您的语调感觉,而这是背这个等级单词的一个关键。不过,背这个等级的词,需要在听以外增加看的内容。
    看,同样要分精读和泛读两种。就象听一样,也是泛读更重要一些。泛读要挑不太长,能有耐心看完的文章,而且看不懂的词不要太多,一篇文章有两三个不认识的就足够了。千万不要一上来就看英语报刊杂志小说,那些东西不但很难看懂,而且看懂了也对背单词没什么促进作用。
    泛读也需要大量练习,只要您有耐心,又有足够时间,就一直看下去吧!看的时候不要仔细阅读,扫一眼明白个大概意思就成了,然后把这一眼没看懂的词画上记号,别琢磨它是什么意思,继续扫描吧!全部看完之后,回头再看这些单词,有的可能已经想起来了,有的....还没想起来?那就查查字典,要是自己还没背过,就扔掉它,要是已经背过了,就单独抄下来吧,和听力练习中没听出来的词放在一起。
    第三个分支:乱说!这只适合背两万二到三万的词。因为其他的词不用说就已经背下来了。而这个等级的词在阅读材料里非常少,可能阅读十篇文章却一个这个等级的词也没有。所以靠阅读来增加见面机会已经不行了。这些词甚至有的老外一辈子都没见过,咋能指望他们能写出来呢?尤其是GRE词汇,什么"给马穿衣服","纽约的流氓","从非洲吹向南欧的风"....这些词都是一些精致的修辞,也就是说,如果您话里净是这些词,那您可以假冒一位学者了。
    一般的老外都是听不懂您说的这些话的,所以不用这些词也能表达同样的含义。好了,您的机会来了,您可以跟老外讲话中带上这些单词,然后很自豪地假装谦虚地跟他们解释这些词的含义。
    每次跟老外解释一两个词就足够了,老外会佩服您佩服得五体投地的。HL就向ws解释吧!要大胆而耐心,尤其是大胆。
    这个阶段,您就别再练听力了,因为练了进步也不大。还记得开头那句话么?要想成功,得走捷径。
    凡是不能在短时期内取得巨大进步的行动,都不必浪费时间去做。
    不过,这时候的阅读材料成了问题:您会发现,过去看的东西觉得太浅没意思,看其他深的东西又看不懂。您还会发现一个新的有趣现象:那就是您想看的文章里,现在全是第一个等级的那些词,每个词您都确切知道它的含义,但整个文章您就是看不懂。;Q
    那您该看什么呢?就看第二个等级的那些浅显文章啊。虽然浅显,但能帮助您不至于忘了过去背出来的成果。至于您看不懂的那些文章,别着急,等您和老外交流多了,您自然就懂了,那都是一些词组、俚语或文法组成的文章。
    背单词捷径的第四条,就是:联想,联想,联想,.....背单词的第一个动作是什么?端详一下它的外貌。第二第三个动作呢?看看它的内涵和发音。而第四个动作,就应该是联想,再联想.....
    联想它和其他背过的词有没有外表类似的?读音类似的?意思类似或相反的?如果有,就赶紧记在旁边,在另外那些词旁边也把这个词加上。这样,以后看见其他词,也会联想起这个词,等于又增加了一次见面机会。
    而且,在第二、第三个等级的词汇里,还有许多单词是由"前缀","词根","后缀"组成的,前缀比如"re","in","pseud"...,后缀比如"er","a","oid"...,然后共同组成一个新词。如果掌握了这些前后缀,就可以很方便地猜出一个生词到底什么意思。另外,有很多读音相近的词也有相似的意思,这在俚语、诗歌和儿童用语中更普遍。如果每天记80个单词,一个月只能背2400个单词,但掌握了这些规律后,实际上背的速度越来越快,几乎一万多单词都是不用背就会了的。
    不过,在GRE单词中,有很多是既没有和其他词的关系,又没有前后缀,看起来既简单又记不住的单词。这些词里边有希腊语,意大利语,德语,拉丁语,甚至还有日语译音。这就只能靠和别人解释来掌握了。(HL一定要注意!)
    背单词捷径的第五条,就是:复习!记得快,忘得也就快,这是一个非常正常的规律。在背单词的过程中,复习就显得非常重要。俺总结复习的规律是:十个单词复习一遍,然后三十个单词,然后是以前所有没背下来的单词。复习的时候,同样不必细抠,粗略地扫一遍就可以了,但一定要想它的读音(因为英语是象声的)。最后背不下来的单词,一定是不常用的,因为老外一样背不下来。
    每背完一个开头字母的单词,就要把前一个开头字母的复习一遍。然后每背完前文中括号里面的开头字母,就把上一个括号里的复习一遍。复习的时候,要先看英文翻译中文意思来一遍,然后再看着中文想它的英文单词再来一遍。
    前面说过,在泛听,泛读中忘了的词要和背的时候就记不住的词分着记下来,就是为了在复习的时候区别对待。忘了的词,要每天看一遍,会了就划掉,而记不住的词则在背完了整个字母以后,单独背一下这些词,平常就不用看了。----------------虚拟语气虚拟语气是一种动词形式,表示说话人的一种愿望,假设,怀疑,猜测, 建议等含义,虚拟语气所表示的含义不是客观存在的事实。If I were you, I'd take them away.如果我是你的话,我就会带走他们。If I had met Li Hua, I could had told him.如果我碰见了李华,我就告诉了他了。If I had time. I could come to help you.如果我有时间,我会来帮助你的。He suggested that our class should be divided into five groups.他建议说我们的班应该分成五个小组。He speaks to us as if he had been there.他给我们讲的好象他去过那儿。虚拟语气的用法1) 虚拟语气用在简单句中,表示祝愿,命令。May you be happy.祝你幸福。May you have a good time.祝愿你玩的痛快。May the friendship between us last long.祝愿我们的友情天长地久。Have a good journey!祝愿你旅途愉快!You go out!你出去!2) 虚拟语气用在宾语从句中。动词 wish, suggest,order,insist, propose,等词后面的宾语从句表示的是一种虚拟语气, 宾语从句中的动词动作表示的只是一种愿望,要求。I wish she would be on my side.我希望她能站在我一边。I wish I could help him.我希望我能帮助他。He insisted that all of us should be there on time by any means.他坚持要我们大家想尽办法按时去那儿。动词 demand, suggest, order, insist, propose 后面的从句中,"should" 可以省略。The teacher suggested that we (should) clean the blackboard after class.老师建议我们课后把黑板擦了。He ordered that the students wash the clothes every week by themselves.他要求学生每周都要自己洗衣服。3) 虚拟语气用在主语从句中。在句型 "It is important (necessary, strange, natural) that .... " 中,that 后面的从句中的谓语动词用: should + 动词原形It's necessary that we should have a walk now.我们有必要出去散散步。It's natural that she should do so.她这样做是很自然的。It's important that we should take good care of the patient.重要的是我们要照顾好病人。4) 虚拟语气用在状语从句中。虚拟语气最多地用在表示条件的状语从句和表示结果的主句中。在表示与事实相反的虚拟语气时,动词有三种时态形式,即现在,过去和将来。与现在事实相反的:条件从句 结果从句
If I (we,you,he,they)+ 动词过去式.. if I (he,she) were... I (we) should + 动词原形。 He (you,they) would + 动词原形。与过去事实相反的:条件从句 结果从句
If I(we,you,he,they)+ had + 过去分词 I(we)should + have+ 过去分词。He (you,they) would + have + 过去分词。If I were you, I should buy it.如果我是你,我就买了它。If I had time, I would study French.如果我有时间,我会学习法语的。If she knew English,she would not ask me for help.如果她懂英语的话,她不会找我帮忙的。If you had got up earlier, you could have caught the train.如果你早一点起床,就会赶上火车的。If it were fine tomorrow,I would go shopping.如果明天天气好,我就去买东西。有关虚拟语气的几个问题:1) 有时if引导的状语从句可以省略 if,而把从句中的动词 were, had 或 should 移到主语前面。Were she younger, she would do it .如果她年青点, 她就会干的。Had he known her address, he would had gone to visite her.如果他知道她的地址,他会去看她的。2) 有时表示虚拟语气的条件从句或者主句都可以省略,而只剩下一个主句或者一个条件从句。I could help you.我本来可以帮助你。If I had time.我要有时间该多好啊。She should have come to the party.她应该来参加聚会。If he had much more money.如果他有更多的钱就能...。3) 虚拟语气中,条件从句的动词动作可以和主句的动词动作时态不一致。If they had studied hard, they could do it easily now.如果他们以前努力学习的话,现在干的就会容易些。If he had not taken my advice, he wouldn't do it much better like this.如果他不听取我的建议,他就不会干得这样好。